commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Frede Pedersen, 2 Troop, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Frede Pedersen is a Danish sailor who came to England in 1941 where he was recruited into The BUFFS. In 1942 he, along with 14 other Danish soldiers serving in The BUFFS, volunteered for Commando Training. On completion of training, Frede served with No5 Cdo.

Frede has written a short précis of his time but, by his own admission, his written English is quite difficult to read - I shall endeavour to make it a little clearer and post it in this thread.

In the meantime here are two photos courtesy of Frede.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Frede+Pedersen.jpg.html

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Frede+Pedersen/

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/04/2016 12:48:04

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is a transcript of Frede's letter:
Frede Pedersen wrote:L/Cpl Frede Pedersen born 11/1/1921 in Denmark...
In Copenhagen in November 1939, I left Denmark and 42 [other] crew as a sailor to USA in a Swedish MS Droffingholm.
I as a sailor and the other crew to get the Standart Ol in New York. But our ship Persephone was not there and we the crew stay in the Hotel in 48 Street in President Hotel, Broadway. The 3rd January 1940 the Persephone left Boston and the Danish crew, 42 sailors, to South America and we get oil to the French and 9 April the Germany and Hitler, the crew, in Le Havre heard the Germans had invaded Denmark. We went back to USA and where the ship sailing from USA in South America. We sailing to Panama, Peru, Chile, Argentine, Uruguay, Colombia, Venezuela then to Halifax in Canada and from Halifax to England in Dalfors of Norway and Heingar of Bergen, Norway.
In England in Newcastle from Halifax in convoy to Britain and I landed in Newcastle in the sailing pool.
Then a Danish volunteer in Britain, Capt W Michael Iversen, who had served as a Danish Officer in WWI, came to Newcsatle to ask the sailors to get into the army - The BUFFS.
In September 1941 I came to The BUFFS in Canterbury and the basic training began.
1942 I join the Commando for the training in Achnacarry at Spean Bridge, Scotland.
14 Danish from The BUFFS in Dover 1943 went to training in Scotland and me.
But me, after 65 years don't write so good English any more, I hope you understand.
After 6 weeks we get to the Commando No5 in Boskom Town [Boscombe, Bournemouth]. And we that the very special in the Green Beret, and proud.
From Boskom the Commando was sent by Special Operations in France by night on the coast to take Nazi [German prisoner] back to England.
1943 we went to Weymouth and then to Liverpool and in the big ship. We spent some time before in Ventnor in Isle of Wight, in Canal. [Channel]. Then to Weymouth.
M/S Stratheden, 1500 Commandos and 100 Hospital Nurses (Woman) and Infantry.
Stratheden and USA ship in convoy (as NR2 Convoy) to Middle Gulf in East Africa and Gibraltar. Crossing the middle of Mediterranean region of Sea to Suez Canal til India in Bombay.
From Italy the air raids over the convoy started against us. 2 USA Troop ships went down in the water, one in the morning and NR2 in the evening. The enemy don't come anymore and we get to Suez Canal and to Bombay India and, in rail, to Poona and from Poona to Ceylon 1944.To Trinkomalee.
Lord Louis Mountbatten was Chief of Combined Operations and stayed in Ceylon. No5 and other Commandos get in ALC [Assault Landing Craft] to the operation in Burma and the Commandos get to Ayab and the area. With a force of many Commandos and us in No5 Commando too, the mission was started. And patrols started and we shoot many Japs.
I went to England in 1945 and I went to Wales, in Wricham [Wrexham] and to Horne Bay [Herne Bay] in England in 1946 then back to Canterbury to The BUFFS. In Herne Bay I am the first Danish to see the Jetfly [Doodlebug?] coming over the sea and after 2 days on over the land.
In Canterbury I've got to 1946 and I'm got to started and began and called to meet my Captain, 'You are got a L/Corporal', he said.
I introduced [instructed?] my Soldiers in small Arms Training, But after some times my Army No to the left the Army and I are ready to go home to Denmark.
Thank you The BUFFS, and Commando No5, 2 Troop.
My Army Service number were: 6298743.
In 1946 I live in Denmark, I meeting my wife Alice Nielsen and we are still married after nearly 65 year.
And we got four children[names and addresses omitted for privacy]
And I got 7 medals:
King Christian X Memorial Medal, Norwegian Navy 39-45, Atlantic Star, Defence Medal, Burma Star, War Medal.
And Merchant Navy to the jacket and the Blue Barrel to the jacket, Sailed in Convoy Second World War

I'm lost the Combined red Operations [Frede has sketched a Combined Ops badge] Can I getting from The Veterans Association return to receive to me.
Thanks to you sent a letter from the old 5 Commando, 2 Troop in Denmark

Fred Petersen

Some of my child like to join the Club of 5 Commando, Veteran, I'm serving in the (Wartime) Veteran Association' [Addresses omitted for privacy]

I remember:
John Wall and Fred Palmer? [addresses omitted]
And from Denmark:
Arne Kegel, Aksel Gordon Madsen and Frode Mikkelsen (passed away ???)

I will be writing back to Frede and will enclose replacement Combined Ops badges.
I will of course also write to the 3 three of his sons who have shown interest in joining a commando association.

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/06/2015 22:53:24

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I sent Frede some Combined Ops Badges and a No5 Cdo formation badge - similar to my avatar - and he has sent me a Christmas card in reply

"Dear Nick,
Thanks for the letter and Combined Ops badges Commando in 5 Troop.
And god and Happy Christmas and New Year for all. The 11 of January I'm 90 years old. Born 11 - 1 - 21.
Well Nick send to me sons to join a Commando Associate Members and thanks for the time in England and I'm sending regards to the all in UK,

From old Frede Petersen."

What a grand fellow he seems to be. And I will be writing back with the relevant forms for his sons to join the CVA.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/12/2010 21:26:58

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

aww God bless him!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Following my posting of this Topic about Frede, I was contacted by Peter Harmsen, a reporter of the Danish newspaper, Weekendavisen.

Peter wanted to interview Frede for the Weekendavisen. http://www.weekendavisen.dk/side/om-os

I wrote to Frede who gave his permission for his details to be forwarded to Peter.

I'm pleased to say that Peter emailed me today to say that his article had been published in Weekendavisen on 2 March 2012.

Peter's Editor has given us permission to post the article and the photos (copyright Henning Bagger, Weekendavisen) on the forum.

Peter has also very kindly translated the article into English for us.

I'd like to thank Peter for his article and for his help in getting permission, from the newspaper, to post Peter's article and Henning's photos.

More photos of Frede can be seen in an album in the No5 Cdo Album in the Gallery (see link)

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Frede+Pedersen/

attached are the English translation and the original article, in Danish, as it appeared in Weekendavisen.

Nick
 Filename Frede pedersen, No5 Cdo.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Peter Harmsen
 Filesize 9640 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  778 time(s)

Filename Frede120302.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 13439 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1301 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 01/04/2016 12:44:57

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is wonderful.

Thanks to everyone concerned for allowing us to see it

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Excellent and interesting post regarding a Danish volunteer.
Interesting to note this thread too
http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3504.page#11994
Eric is wearing the hackle of No.9 Cdo but his title looks like it could be No.5 Commando - my eyes are not as good as they used to be though (it could be a '3' perhaps - any thoughts welcome ...
Mike

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger