commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Fathers attachment  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jackabea
Forum Member

Hello,
I am new to this forum and to be honest it's very good.
I am trying to find out about my Father and his Brother who were both in the commandos during the 39-45 war.
I know my Father was a pow and know nothing of his brother, i wonder if anybody can help.
My Fathers name was John James Jones, 2933682 Liverpool scottish, and his brother was Thomas Jones also liverpool scottish, my dad was alway called Jack by his friends, i have found a J J Jones pow in Lamsdorf but i am not sure if it's him.
I would be very grateful of any help members could give me, i have my Fathers route march notes from capture to camp, and i would gladly share any information i have with interested parties

Many thanks in advance

Ian Jones
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the CVA and thanks for your comments regarding the Forum - we also believe it is very good and getting better every day.

A number soldiers from the Liverpool (Scottish) joined the Commandos and I'm sure as I type this one of our Research Group is busy with the information you have provided trying to find something out about your father & uncle...

I would also recommend that you apply to the MoD for their Service Records...

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AE4180BC-55A6-4378-844B-54A58EE3364F/0/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D05B7D85-7FB4-4D1E-81ED-A1CE0D0BC22F/0/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v3U.doc

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0BD5D5F3-33DC-43CF-B9FC-22427CCA4766/0/request_for_service_details_general_enquirers_application_part1_v4U.doc

The British Army search document (Part 2) must be completed to request the disclosure of information held on the personnel records of deceased members of the Army.

Additionally, either Part 1 (general enquirer's form) or Part 1 (next of kin form) must be completed in all cases.

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/11/2010 22:22:08

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ian,
In 1937 the Liverpool Scottish became part of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders and in the Second World War supplied re-inforcements to them, they also supplied from their 1st and 2nd Battalions a contingent of men for No.4 Independant Company which saw action in Norway in 1940. Afterwards many of them served in the Army Commandos with quite a few taking part in the raid at St.Nazaire.
There is a J.J.Jones the rank of Private of the Cameron Highlanders with the service no.2933682 recorded at Labinowice in Poland and his P.O.W. No. was 12375. The camp was Stalag 344. As the service no. is a match it would be safe i would think to assume this is your Father.
Worth checking out is www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk
Hope this will be of use to you,
Regards,
Alan Orton.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ian

As a first step in your research I would ring or email Dennis Reeves who is the Curator of the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust. He should be able to help you with regards to the Regimental Records for your father and brother. He can be contacted on :

Mr. Dennis Reeves, Honorary Curator
Tel: 0151 645 5717

or by e-mail to

[email protected]

If and when you speak to him tell him Joe Rogers son Pete sends him his regards. My father and uncle were also from the Liverpool Scottish

Let us know the result of your enquiry there

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/11/2010 18:46:16

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jackabea
Forum Member

Thank you for the information given it was very helpful and i have followed up the leads given to me.
Does the Veterans forum have any information on what unit my father was in or will i have to get that from the mod by way of his service records?
Once again thank you for the help

Ian
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

jackabea wrote:
Does the Veterans forum have any information on what unit my father was in or will i have to get that from the mod by way of his service records?
Once again thank you for the help

Ian

Ian,
Unfortunately the CVA doesn't have that information, but we are gradually building up nominal rolls for all the Commando Units - this is a long process and involves a lot of painstaking research, the compilation of lists and a lot of information provided by the families of commandos.
Every tiny scrap of information we receive helps build up the bigger picture which means that others are able to research their fathers, grandfathers, uncles etc.
Hopefully you'll find out which Commando he was in from his Service Records but, by process of elimination, I think it's almost certain that he was not in either No1 or No5 Commandos.

nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/11/2010 17:59:29

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Ian

I have traced your father as being attached to No.7 Commando from the Liverpool Scots. May well have been taken POW with so many others at Bardia or Crete

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/11/2010 17:11:54

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jackabea
Forum Member

Hi Pete
That is fantastic, i am impressed and very grateful, i will be going through some paper work at the weekend so any snip its i find i will let you have it may help somebody else in their quest for information.

Thank you again, i will be in touch very soon.

Ian :D

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger