commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cartridge Shells found next to Loch Lochy  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

During my recent visit to Fort William for the Commando Service of Remembrance, my friend, whose sister now lives in F'William, took me to the banks of Loch Lochy where some years ago during a visit to his sisters previous house at Clunes by Loch Lochy, found a site where there were many used cartridges from the period when this loch and the surrounding area was used for Commando Training. I had a little dig in the same place, using just my hands and within a minute found approx 30 shell casings, I have attached some photos of the find and their location should any one be interested.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - IMGP0684.JPG]
 Filename IMGP0684.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  455 time(s)

[Thumb - IMGP0680.JPG]
 Filename IMGP0680.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 798 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  447 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

I suspect that these rounds may have been used in one of the famous "opposed landing" exercises carried out at Achnacarry towards the end of each training course. These took place on the shore of Loch Lochy, between Clunes and Bunarkaig. There is a detailed description in "It had to be tough" by James Dunning.
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great find Andy!

Looking at the cases, I can confirm they were fired by a Bren, which leaves a distinctive elongated firing pin mark on the detonator base.

Brens were employed in live fire during the opposed landing exercise, so it all adds up to being the likely spot.

I would certainly be interested in locating the area when next visiting.

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the info regarding the shell casings, especially the very specific details concerning the type of weapon that actually fired them!! Let me know when you are next in the area and I will provide you with a more detailed discription of how to locate the spot (hopefully!!)

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

One clue to the site of the "beach" is the building on the edge of Loch Lochy, outside Bunarkaig, which was the boat station where the folding Goately boats used on the exercise were stored. I was taken there some twenty years ago by Major Donald Gilchrist of 4 Cdo, who had been the adjutant at Achnacarry at one stage.

The bren guns and mortars that were used in the live firing would have been positioned on the higher ground overlooking the point at which the landing was made.

On that same occasion, Donald introduced me to Hector Cameron who was then employed on the estate by the late Sir Donald Cameron of Lochiel. Hector told us that even all those years on unexploded grenades and other ordnance were still being discovered at Achnacarry. I think that the finds were probably dropped quietly into the middle of Loch Arkaig.
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Last year, as well as this year, I made a trip to Scotland with a group of Dutch Commandos. During the preparations for that trip last year, I met Emma Pearce who works at the Outward Bound School at Loch Eil. The school is housed in Achadalieu Lodge, which was used as a Special Training Centre during the war. Emma lives in Rose Cottage which is at Bunarkaig. Talking about the things that happened there during the time the CBTC was there and the fact that the opposed landing site was directly in front of her house, she asked her partner about it who knows a lot about it. This was the answer I received by mail last year:

?Our house was there and the house by the river. The landings set off from the old pier near the river and then attacked our beach (beach in front of our house, Rose Cottage)!! The assault course was along the river near where I go fishing (between where the river meets Loch Lochy and the castle) and live ammunition was used. The concrete platform for the gunning placement is just before Bunarkaig Bay on the right hand side/loch side/north side of the road."

I have been looking for the concrete platform but couldn't find it despite the discription of the spot. Years ago when I was there with Nial Thomson as guide, he showed me a concrete platform in the shape of an assault landingcraft. From it they practised the landing procedures before doing it with real boats. I have been looking for that as well, but couldn't find it anymore.

So there are some relics of those days left that are worth finding and restoring I believe.
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great stuff Jack.

I know that concrete landing craft!

It is right beside the road and not far from the gates approx. 1m from Achnacarry House. Our group has considered approaching Lochiel about the possibility of cleaning it for view and raising funds for a display plaque, as it would be easily visible from the road and still stands as one of the very few existing training aids on the grounds.

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul,

The concrete platform is indeed quite close to the first gates and on the right side of the road. I guess it must be completely overgrown by moss and covered by leaves. There is a flat piece of earth there and I searched that but it wasn't the spot I was looking for.

Good idea of approaching the Lochiel! Won't be much work cleaning the spot and putting up a display plaque I guess. Perhaps a small path could be made towards it? Same could be done with the location of the concrete gun emplacement(s) perhaps. Come to think of it: a display plaque at the site of the former harbour where the boat house still is, could be a possibilty as well perhaps.
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

All good ideas Jack!

I have e-mailed Lochiel estate proposing a plaque and clearup of of LCA structure. Hopefully hear back soon and we can take it from there.

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

good luck with that project Paul.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

The CVA would would be very happy to fund an appropriate plaque.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent Geoff, many thanks!

I shall report back with news from Lochiel ASAP.

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

News received today, that Lochiel would like to take a look at the structure himself first before making a decision.

For all on board here, the following provides an exact location and clear image of the LCA structure -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=achnacarry&sll=55.950176,-3.187536&sspn=0.19223,0.481339&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Achnacarry,+Spean+Bridge,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&ll=56.938269,-4.984542&spn=0.000732,0.00188&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=56.938343,-4.98468&panoid=XfL1lu3ynIhnBMmiBeyv8A&cbp=12,49.09,,0,22.72

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good luck, Paul.

Janet
garyburton
Forum Member

Nice one Paul - must stop by and check that out next time in passing...

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger