commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte. Alfred 'Ray' Martin - advice please on researching my Grandad's commando service  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
ruthoneale
Forum Member

hi all, my Grandad died when I was 2. My mum recently showed me his commando certificate of service. She doesn't know anything about his wartime service but it has him as serving as a commando from June 1943 to November 1945. His name on the certificate is down as R J Martin (his name was Alfred but he was always known as Ray). His service number is 5670951 and his rank was Pte. Please can someone advise how I can find out more? I've had a look at the nominal rolls on here but haven't seen his name and I've gotten stumped on the conventional websites for searching military service. I'm a novice at this and would appreciate any advice you can give. I know also my Grandad was in the forces before WWII and was in the Indian army I think but I'd love to know more about his life before he settled down in North Wales in 1946 and married my nanna. Many thanks Ruth

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2010 15:53:20

Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ruth

Welcome to the C.V.A, it happens that your request has come on a very busy weekend for forum moderators as most have been to Ft.William for the annual rememberance day ceremonies.
Here is a link to a page that can give you some information on acquiring your grandfathers records...

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

http://www.veterans-uk.info/recordsmedalsbadges.htm

Having his service number is definitely a plus

These links should help get you started , good luck with your search, Be sure to let us know anything you may discover as you may find out something that is a missing piece of someone elses puzzle

Do you have any pictures?

Again, welcome and I'm sure one of the moderators will reply to your post in due course

Lindsay

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2010 02:10:46

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ruth

Can you scan his Commando Service Certificate and the post a copy of it here on this forum message. If you have any difficulty with that please contact me by email. My email address is listed below. The link and advice given to you by Lindsay regarding applying for his service record is absolutely right and it is something you must do as a starter. It can take weeks or even months to receive it but it will give you more detail. In the meantime please search out the family albums etc for photos or memorabilia of your father's. They can often give most useful information.

I am sure with what you already have you will soon discover more of your grandfather's military past

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2010 14:32:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
ruthoneale
Forum Member

thanks so much for all your help, I will order his service record. I'm attaching a partial picture of his service certificate (partial as the original is with my mum back in North Wales and I just took this to get me started on researching him). I'm also uploading a photo of him in 1965 as I don't think we have any of him during WWII. My mum has some of him pre war in the Indian Army so I'll try and copy these when I am back in Wales over Christmas. I don't whether someone would be able to recognise him from this photo. He was from Bridport, Dorset originally and immediately post war worked as a motorcycle courier for the army I think. He later became a postman and had the nickname "Lofty" as he was so tall but I am unsure whether this was a nickname he had had earlier in his life. Thanks everyone for all your help, much appreciated Ruth
[Thumb - Pte Ray Martin.jpeg.jpg]
 Filename Pte Ray Martin.jpeg.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description partial photo of service certificate
 Filesize 50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  376 time(s)

[Thumb - granddad.jpg]
 Filename granddad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description photo of Alfred "Ray" Martin, taken in Bournemouth August 1965
 Filesize 80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  344 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2010 20:47:25

ruthoneale
Forum Member

sorry- better photo attached this time
Ruth
[Thumb - Copy of granddad.jpg]
 Filename Copy of granddad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description slightly larger photo hopefully
 Filesize 41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  348 time(s)

ruthoneale
Forum Member

sorry, I am about to fill in the service record request form and I have no idea if my grandad was a commando in the army or navy or airforce, I am assuming the army but what should I do if I am unsure? the MoD seem to want the additional form for the correct service. Many thanks Ruth
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ruth it is the Army. Please contact me by email regarding your enquiry as it will be easier if we communicate direct in order to facilitate your research. We can then update this forum message with the progress made

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/09/2014 22:24:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
ruthoneale
Forum Member

photo uploaded of my grandad taken 7th Dec 1945 (the month he was discharged) and also one of him a few years earlier taken when he served in India.
[Thumb - image0-1.jpg]
 Filename image0-1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Ray Martin
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  311 time(s)

[Thumb - image0.jpg]
 Filename image0.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Ray Martin
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  330 time(s)

ruthoneale
Forum Member

service certificate attached
 Filename Top.bmp [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 6542 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  406 time(s)

B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Ruth,
I have been in a similar situation to yourself when trying to find out specific details of an ex-commando.
The key really is in getting a copy of his Service Record. Do not expect it to contain vast amounts of detailed information and don't expect to be able to understand it all.
But with that in hand and with help from other members on this site things will start to become much clearer.
In my case I had to wait around 10 months to receive the Records that I requested, so be patient.
In the mean time continue to gather all the papers & photos that you can, eventually they will all start to slot into place.
Regards,

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
ruthoneale
Forum Member

I finally have a copy of my grandfather's service record but as I've just moved house I probably won't get around to scanning and uploading this for a couple of weeks. It looks like he was a "P.A" to Holding Operational Commando in 1944. I know this was in Wrexham which is where he met and married my Nanna but does anyone know what he would have done? I know he was a motorcycle "courier" when he met her...I will try and upload a couple of photos of excerpts of his records. Any help deciphering them is appreciated, many thanks Ruth
ruthoneale
Forum Member

Images attached
[Thumb - Exeter-20111026-00067.jpg]
 Filename Exeter-20111026-00067.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  306 time(s)

[Thumb - Exeter-20111026-00064.jpg]
 Filename Exeter-20111026-00064.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  335 time(s)

[Thumb - Exeter-20111026-00066.jpg]
 Filename Exeter-20111026-00066.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  321 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 26/10/2011 23:20:40

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ruth,

I have had a quick look at the portion of your grand-dad's record and can see that, when he was in India from 41 - 43, he was in the 2nd Echelon India where he was with
34th India Division Provost Unit,
20th India Division Provost Unit,
Corps of Military Police (India),
then we went to 16 Infantry Training Centre [The Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry ]. I know you say that your grandfather rode motorbikes but I think he was a military policeman and that was also the role he filled at HOC?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ruth,

I've now been able to look at the other two portions and this confirms my last post regarding postings.

PA TO HOC means 'Permanently Attached' so he was a HOC member of staff rather than someone waiting to go on for further training or to go and replace a fallen/injured commando in one of the Units.

I'm sure you'll agree that the photos of the records you posted are difficult to read and I'd be able to decipher them a little better when you are able to scan them properly.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2011 23:54:11

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ruth,

Just been looking at the portrait of your grandfather and it would appear that he is wearing the cap badge of The Somerset Light Infantry which is not quite the same as The Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, so I'm guessing that he joined the Somerset LI initially, even though he was from Dorset?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/10/2011 00:23:30

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger