commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The personal album of photos of Major Bill Copland DSO - No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I now have copies of all the photos in the personal album of Major Bill Copland DSO and there are some great ones. My thanks must go to his son Peter Copland who has allowed us to display them, and also to Jim Dorrian who kindly scanned each page and sent me high resolution copies.

For those of us attending Fort William this week and with the weather getting rather cold in Scotland, I thought I would post just a couple of the photos for now to remind us what it was like when No.2 Commando were training in Ayr in January/February 1942 :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/training/on+to+moscow+-25.jpg.html

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/training/winter+training+Ayr+1942+-25.jpg.html

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/training/excelsior+-25.jpg.html

Click on the photos for full size
[Thumb - Bill Copland.jpg]
 Filename Bill Copland.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Major William Oranmore 'Bill' Copland DSO No.2 Commando. POW St Nazaire © 2010 Peter Copland
 Filesize 82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  552 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 24/08/2011 01:08:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

And another from the same collection of Colonel Charles and the Padre. The title placed on this photo which enlarges when clicked on and everything else about it from the padre's wry smile to the half empty pint glass makes it a great photo. Things were not to be so relaxed a month or so after this photo was taken when Colonel Charles Newman led the Commandos in the combined Commando and Naval attack on St Nazaire
. For his part in this epic raid he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/training/Charles+and+the+Padre++a+-22.jpg.html

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 24/08/2011 01:02:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fantastic photos - can't wait to see more.

These little insights into the 'real' people are what this website is all about.
It makes me very proud that Veterans and relatives of veterans are trusting this Site to display their treasured memories.

Thank you,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As some of you will have seen I have begun to post the photos from this album to the gallery. I will be posting about 4 or 5 a day as there is a fair amount of editing required on each photo, and also some research on those in the photos. They will be going into either the 'No.2 Commando' main gallery or the 'Independent Companies and SS Bn. ' album which is located within the World War 2 gallery. The photos are all pre St Nazaire, the raid in which Major Copland was taken POW and later awarded the DSO. Thanks again to his son Peter for allowing us to display them on our site.

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/12/2010 23:09:55

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Many thanks indeed to Peter Copland from all at the CVA.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/12/2010 16:04:09

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete, the recent pictures of Copland are super, they really give a feeling of what it might have been like. They look so happy and are enjoying themselves.

Pass on my thanks as well.

- Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

They are brilliant photos indeed - still looking to see if I can spot Bob in amongst them...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Me too, Nick, the closest I've come is the one on the Toggle Bridge, but I'll never be sure.

- Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Janet,
I know the feeling - I've got the photo that Billy Moore gave me and I'm almost convinced my dad is on it (I've compared it to all other photos of him and it is right!)
But when I showed the same photo to my mother and my uncle (dad's younger brother) they both identified two different commandos!

But as I said to you before, I know its my dad!

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2010 21:20:23

Nick Collins,

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

http://www.ww2awards.com/person/46277

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger