commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Trying to find information on my Father's service  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
phill wiles
Forum Member

I am hoping someone may be able to help me find out about the service of my father. I am trying to find out which unit he servied in, as I do not have a record of this in the items he has left me. I just have his Commando service Certificate and his last payslip.

His details are below:

Name: WILES, Herbert

DoB: 07.06.1919

Place: Dinnington Colliery, Northumberland

Commando Service Certificate

Chief of Combined Ops R. Laycock

Service No: EX 3463 Sgt. Wiles H

Service: Oct 1942 to 10th Dec 1945

I also have his battledress and campaign ribbons for Battle of Britain ,Africa Star, France & Germany Star, Defence medal and Italy (some of these more than once)
Also on the jacket, Parachute wings, Royal Marines Commando and inverted red dagger

Address for final pay

4 Queens Square
Newcastle on Tyne

Paymaster T.P. Swann, Capt R.M.

I also have 2 running medals, one for relay and the other individual, with Royal Mirines insignia on the reverse

Hoping you can be of assistance.

Phillip M Wiles

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/11/2010 19:15:42

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Phil,

Obviously your father was in the RM Commandos so if you want to apply to MoD for his service records follow these links:
The fee is £30 and you may strike it lucky and get a full history (albeit in illegible handwriting and Service jargon).

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsRoyalNavyroyalMarines.htm

if you are next of kin fill out this form:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsNextOfKinForm.htm

if you are not next of kin fill out this form:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsGeneralEnquirersForm.htm

Good luck and if you need any help along the way - just ask us.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Phil,
I forgot to say that your father's Service Number [EX 3463] shows that he was recruited through the Exon Depot

royal marines museum wrote:The prefix ?EX?, followed by a number of three or four figures, indicates a special Reservist entered at Exton Division between October 1939 and July 1940. [The ranks holding these numbers were then transferred to Chatham, Plymouth or Portsmouth and allocated a number in the six figure series.]

You may think there must be a mistake here as those the Exon dates don't tie in with the Service dates on his Commando Service Certificate [Service: Oct 1942 to 10th Dec 1945]...
That is because, unlike today, not ALL Royal Marines were Commandos; in fact it wasn't until 1942 the first Royal Marines Commandos were formed.
In February of that year the Royal Marines were tasked to organise Commando units of their own. In total nine Commando units were formed by the Royal Marines: Nos 40 RM, 41 RM, 42 RM, 43 RM, 44 RM, 45 RM, 46 RM, 47 RM and the last, 48 RM Commando (which was only formed in 1944)

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger