commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando Harry Jones  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jones1
Forum Member

Hello, looking to see if anyone has any information or remembers anything about my grandfather Harry Jones from Birmingham. Unfortunately I don't have his service record but I know he served in Italy in the Commandos from about 43 onward.

He was wounded at Lake Comacchio and judging from the description also at Salerno so I think but am not sure it was 2 Commando. He mentioned his best mate there was called Nicky Carter (a Geordie) and a Commando named Stone who was killed at Comacchio.

He told me loads of stories when I was a kid unfortunately he passed away some time ago and there is nobody left to ask. His birth name might have been Leslie but everyone called him Harry and I can't remember if that was his given name he did not like or was his middle name.

Jonesy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jonesy and welcome to the CVA

Having read your post the first thing I will mention is that there was a No.2 Commando killed in action at Lake Commachio with the surname Stone:
In Memory of Gunner 3392730 Henry Stone
Royal Artillery and No. 2, Commando
who died age 25 on 17 April 1945
Remembered with honour at Ravenna War Cemetery

As regards your grandfather I have details of a Commando with the surname Jones who came from the Birmingham area. However the initials are different ( I know you refer to this possibility). Do you know if your Grandfather's parents ever lived in the Balsall Heath are of Birmingham? I have an address for the parents of the No.2 Commando with the surname Jones that I refer to. If you can get back to me on this point and we will take things from there so to speak.

There were several Jones' in No.2 Commando including one with the initial 'L' as can be seen from our No.2 Commando 'They also served list'. .

As we always say to people who contact our website, if you have any pictures or documents of your grandfather's from his Commando days please post them on this forum message (I can assist you in this if need be). This may mean seeking out such items from extended family. Such photos and items can reveal great detail about the military service of an individual. His service record is most important and should be applied for, however you might find that other members of your family have information that might help in your application.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 16/10/2010 16:07:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jones1
Forum Member

Thank you,
Yes thats definitely him, I know he grew up in Balsall Heath and lived there most of his life. Is there anyway I can get details of his record? Unfortunately I have no photos or service record. As I am his grandson what would they require from as proof to see if I could get it. Again thank you for your time and effort it is very much appreciated.

Jonesy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jonesy

The immediate next of kin can apply for a copy of his full service record. How to do so can be found here.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

However before you do this please note the following:
As regards the entry I found, it is in handwritten large document of names for 2 Cdo that I have. The initials are shown as M.L. Jones. You will have to confirm your grandfather's actual first names before you go any further in your research. This you should be able to do via family documents or the Registers of Births Marriages and Deaths. I do appreciate that sometimes this can be awkward due to family circumstances. Rather than reply on open forum here, may I suggest that you contact me either by private message, or by email - shown below, then when we get something 100% definite we can update this forum message

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/10/2010 10:54:23

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger