commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Harry Secombe meets Commando Veterans at Spean Bridge  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mark Heard sent me this photo which he thinks was taken in 1987 of Commando Veterans including Mark's father Tom Heard of No.2 Cdo., and Sir Harry Secombe at The Commando Memorial.

I see there are plenty of smiles and that is one of many things that Harry could do - make people laugh. For those who remember the Goon Shows there was one memorable show which recounted a secret Combined Ops raid on Crete not recorded in any official record and was led by a Lieutenant Seagoon . It involved some of his Unit including Ellington, Eccles, and Bloodok. This includes some pre raid training at the Marine Commando Spaghetti Hurling Depot at Rhyll
If you remember the shows this will bring a smile when you read it:

Ill met by Goonlight
Series 7, Episode 23
First broadcast 14th March 1957. Script by Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens, produced by Pat Dixon. Transcription by John Koster

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e23_ill_met_by_goonlight

Harry was awarded the CBE for his work for the Army Benevolent Fund. In 1981 he was awarded a knighthood for his services to entertainment and charity. He passed away on April 11th, 2001 at the age of 79.
[Thumb - Spean Bri circa 1987 harry secombe.jpg]
 Filename Spean Bri circa 1987 harry secombe.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 523 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  554 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 07/10/2010 10:51:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

This may have been 1989. Harry came to visit us at 45 Commando in RM Condor, Arbroath for a mid-week Remembrance Service for the program Highway (I was a Lance Corporal at the time).

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I don?t know if you are aware but the scriptwriter mentioned, Larry Stephens, was with no.5 Commando from 1943. Larry was my first cousin once removed and was involved in writing a large percentage of the Goon Shows with Spike Milligan and others.

This is my first forum post so please be gentle with me!

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Julie,
Welcome to the CVA - and I hope that you'll see that we're always 'gentle' with all our correspondents...

I have a couple of copies of The Third Jungle Book - the 3 Commando Brigade Magazine where your cousin Larry Stephens is mentioned as the No5 Cdo Entertainments Officer - he served in 2 Troop and in HQ Troop (Intelligence).

He is also mentioned in "From Bognor Regis to Hong Kong - No5 Cdo Diary" that on 4th March 1945, Lt (Larry) Stephens, 2 Troop helped organise a show of Indian Wrestling in which TSM Tug Wilson got injured in a heavy fall...

Larry Stephens also gained fame as one of the writers for TV's "Army Game".

If there are any photos of Lt Stephens which you'd like to display in our No5 Cdo Album to commemorate his time in the Commandos, we be very pleased to post them on your behalf.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/03/2011 23:54:15

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey I remember the Army Game as a kid.. to think one of the writers was in No5 .Good to see Sir Harry ,,what a national treasure he was. Yes , Julie we need photos of Larry's days in No5 Commando

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick & Stephen,

Thanks for such a warm welcome.

I?m actually in the process of writing Larry?s biography at the moment so this is really useful information, thank you Nick.

I have a photo of Larry with another officer I?d like to identify so I?ll upload that to the relevant section of the forum. I also have a photo which may well be from his Entertainments Officer time but there is nothing to identify when or where it was taken. Is it OK to upload that too?

Julie

His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the reply and I have read your Wikipedia biog of Larry Stephens with interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Stephens

By all means load your photos up on the forum or email them to me or Pete Rogers and we can upload them to the relevant album in the CVA Gallery.

Please include any relevant information that can be used as a caption and, as we will accredit the photos to you, your full surname (if you don't mind).

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Julie,

With regard to the Entertainment Officer role, I think that I should make it perfectly clear to everyone that this would be a 'Secondary Duty' - he would have been a Commando first and foremost.
[Even today the Armed Forces expect every junior officer to undertake a Secondary Duty and will allocate duties to those that don't volunteer.]

It was considered very important that the troops had some sort of 'distraction' from the horrors of war and to try and maintain high morale and so regular film shows, concerts and other entertainment were expected to be laid on.
It was no easy job to entertain those brave soldiers across in far flung places many miles from families and loved ones and therefore the role of Entertainment Officer was no easy task...

Please see the link to No5 Cdo Part 1 Orders, which shows another No5 Commando Officer - Lt (later Major) Chips Heron MC appointed as No5 Cdo Entertainments Officer.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/No5_Pt_1_Orders.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/04/2011 00:54:48

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for the link to the Part 1 Orders Nick; it makes very interesting reading.

I?m attaching the photo I referred to which shows Larry in an entertainments role but whether it was taken during his time with the Commandos or the early days of The Goons, I don?t know

By the way, I can?t claim any credit for the Wikipedia entry about Larry although I did provide the photo!

Regards,

Julie
[Thumb - Larry_Stephens.jpg]
 Filename Larry_Stephens.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Larry Stephens dressed to entertain
 Filesize 109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  546 time(s)

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Julie

Thanks for your pm response. I have now added the photo you originally provided for the wikipedia article to our No.5 Commando Gallery so there is no need to email me it. I have added just a few words but if you wish to add or amend anything please just let me know by pm. That photo can be seen here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Larry+Stephens.jpg.html

As regards the other photos where you think you recognise him

I think I have spotted Larry in a couple of pictures in the gallery (but as you know, it?s often difficult to be certain!)

In this one, 2nd row from the front, 6th from left

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/5Troop_+No5+Commando_SEAC.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

And in this one, 2nd from left

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Group+of+No+5+Cdo_c.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I have updated those accordingly. Nick will be interested to know one of them is a 5 troop photo as his father served with them. (I have noted Nick's earlier comments about his serving in 2 troop and HQ troop)

As with all relatives of Commandos I would ask you to consider joining us in the Commando Veterans Association as an associate member. How to do so can be found on our homepage under Join the CVA

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 04/04/2011 16:16:16

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,
That's great that you've identified Larry Stevens in a couple of photos

Can you have a look at this photo and check whether he's on this one too?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Ahmednagar+1945+2.jpg.html

Cheers,
nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes, I think it may be him in the centre of the front row Nick. If it is, it's one of very few photos in which he's smiling!

Julie

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie,
thanks, I'll annotate the photo accordingly. I see what you mean about him smiling - he does seem to be very serious in the other photos (although he obviously had a great sense of humour).

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Robert Graham
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Mark Heard sent me this photo which he thinks was taken in 1987 of Commando Veterans including Mark's father Tom Heard of No.2 Cdo., and Sir Harry Secombe at The Commando Memorial.

I see there are plenty of smiles and that is one of many things that Harry could do - make people laugh. For those who remember the Goon Shows there was one memorable show which recounted a secret Combined Ops raid on Crete not recorded in any official record and was led by a Lieutenant Seagoon . It involved some of his Unit including Ellington, Eccles, and Bloodok. This includes some pre raid training at the Marine Commando Spaghetti Hurling Depot at Rhyll

Ill met by Goonlight
Series 7, Episode 23
First broadcast 14th March 1957. Script by Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens, produced by Pat Dixon. Transcription by John Koster

Harry was awarded the CBE for his work for the Army Benevolent Fund. In 1981 he was awarded a knighthood for his services to entertainment and charity. He passed away on April 11th, 2001 at the age of 79.
[Thumb - 12195955_989569107756383_7738521459686729633_n.jpg]
 Filename 12195955_989569107756383_7738521459686729633_n.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description My Uncle Bill Neill on the left of the photo who is also in the photo with Sir Harry, he is the one with the camel coat unfortunately his face is covered by the man in front of him.
 Filesize 179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  334 time(s)

Robert Graham
Forum Member

Robert Graham wrote:
Pete wrote:Mark Heard sent me this photo which he thinks was taken in 1987 of Commando Veterans including Mark's father Tom Heard of No.2 Cdo., and Sir Harry Secombe at The Commando Memorial.

Ill met by Goonlight
Series 7, Episode 23

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger