commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
New panorama photo of No.4 Commando posted  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mike Swinson, whose grandfather was L/Cpl. Stanley Swinson, has sent me 4 scanned photos, each of a different segment of his panorama photo of the whole of No.4 Commando, taken in 1943. I have manged to merge them back into one panorama photo. I have asked Mike to try to rescan the 1st of his 4 as some of the men were slightly blurred but this photo is a good one anyhow.

Pete

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/nov+43+panoram/Z5-Copy+of+Z2-No_4+Commando+panorama-stage+6.jpg.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/09/2011 21:30:12

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Awesome work Pete. I shall email it to Jimmy Dunning to see if he can add any names. Can we do the same as the 2 Cdo panorama and add a numbered version?

Many thanks

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wonderful Pete. There must be one for No5 out there somewhere ....

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As regards numbering the photo I look to one of our other Research Group members whom I know will relish such a task as he has done so in the past. He knows who he is so I'll not mention his name

Regards

Pete

Ps. Andy let me know when you have done it ...oops

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/09/2010 12:37:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

Well done - great find!

Stephen Donnison wrote: There must be one for No5 out there somewhere ....

Oh I certainly hope so Stephen - circa 1943- 44 would be good for me!

And then ANDY could number 'our' copy... :D

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all

I would be more than happy to number this fantastic photo, do you want me to do this to the existing photo or wait untill the new improved version has been uploaded containing the rescanned 1st section?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

Thanks. Can you do it to this version and then post it in the gallery. I have created a sub album for the panoarama so that you can post the numbered version in alongside as we have done for others. If we get an improved version (and if I can manage to merge that which isn't guaranteed) it won't affect your numbered copy

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/09/2010 10:39:36

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

I have now completed the numbered version of the No.4 panorama, however I am unable to upload it in to the gallery, the file size is 0.99MB, is this too large?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Just a quick message to let you know that the numbered version of this photo has now been completed and uploaded on to the No.4 Gallery in the sub album that Pete has created for the original of this photo.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks a lot Andy. Excellent job. I have put a few that I recognise but obviously if anyone recognises someone or spots errors just place a comment on the numbered version with the details and I will update the photo.

Pete

[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

Some of you may have read an article in yesterday's Sunday Times about Major Geoffrey Langlands, a former soldier who for many years has run a school along English public school lines in the Hindu Kush for Pakistani boys and girls. He is now 92 and about to retire. A little research shows that this wonderful man was a section sergeant in C Troop 4 Cdo at the time of the Dieppe Raid. His section officer was Lt David Style, who was awarded the MC for his part in the action. Geoffrey was apparently able to take some photographs at Dieppe with a German Leica captured earlier at Lofoten. He is yet one more example of a former Commando soldier who achieved magnificent things in later life.

*** Update by Pete R. 12/10/10 :New forum message created specifically for Major Langlands CMG MBE on this link:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1713.page

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 14/10/2010 11:52:19

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wow ,where are these photos ?

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger