commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Bertram Clifford Coleman......any information please!!!  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
termar
Forum Member

Hello
I am trying to find information on Bertram Clifford Coleman for a friend who only has very sketchy information about her father's service record WW2.
I have read the history and think he may possibly have been No.3 Commando.......here is what I have.
Bertram Coleman was orphaned at 14 and was sent to Navy School and subsequently enlisted in the Royal Navy before 1938. He served in Palestine and was awarded a medal for driving a train through enemy lines.
He later trained with the Commando's in Scotland and fought in Italy, where he was shot in the knee. I believe he was taken prisoner at some time, as a German doctor saved his knee from amputation. He spoke of seeing rows of graves at training camp on his first day ( Spean Bridge? )
I would welcome any information as he died in 1975 and like so many service men in both world wars, never spoke a great deal about what he experienced.
Hoping for any response.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA.

I've just read your post and, although I have nothing specific at the moment, the bit about driving the train through enemy lines has rung a bell - I'll have to try and find it...

You say that Bertram Coleman was awarded a medal for this action - do you know what the medal was?

Certainly the training camp at Achnacarry (near Spean Bridge) did have a row of dummy graves at the entrance - to concentrate the mind of the trainee commandos.

Hopefully someone will turn up a little more specific info for you soon.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
termar
Forum Member

I would love to have any information.
Bertram Coleman's widow is visiting at Christmas and her daughter would love to present her with more about her late husband, as she is in the dark too ( She's 92 and as sharp as a tack )
There is a picture of him taken with Roosevelt and Churchill.
I'll try to find out more about the medal.
Thanks for the reply
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi (sorry I do not know your first name)

You say from the history you think he may have been in No.3 Commando. Do you mean the CVA history for No.3 Cdo., or are you basing this on something else that you know? The reason I ask is that No.3 Cdo. was an Army Commando yet you say he begins in the Royal Navy. You mention Palestine as being a place he was in before doing his training, and that he was in the Royal Navy before 1938. One possible reason for him being in Palestine could have been the Arab revolt 1936-39 in which the Royal Navy and troops from the Royal Marines played a role. If he went to Achnacarry he could have gone their from the Navy when the newly formed Royal Marines Commandos began training there. All supposition I know and as Nick says the medal may help to give a clue. Also was he ever in any post war associations...perhaps his daughter could make discreet enqs. from her Mum regarding this. It certainly would help as well as any photos Mum may have hidden away of him in his uniform.
Keep us informed of your progress and good luck

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
termar
Forum Member

I have asked her to find out more and will let you know, when I have it.
Thank you
Teresa

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger