commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine James (Jim) A Jackson 41 Commando 1942-1946  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Graeme
Forum Member

Does anyone remember Jim or his friend Cpl Ken Dewey. Trying to find some deatils of his service but records office state that he was a storeman!!

Do know he was part of landings at Sicily, Salerno and D-Day.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graeme

Welcome to the CVA. I was waiting and hoping that someone else may have some information for you, however as you have had no replies so far, I'll just say a few words. The fact that he is shown on Naval Records as a storeman does not necessarily mean he was not in the Commando. In fact on a document I have seen for the HQ set up of each Army Commando it shows 2 storemen.

You do not mention your relationship to Marine Jackson. Are you a relative or a friend? Do you have any photos or information of Mne. Jackson from his RM Commando days. I would like to know more about the information you already have. Please feel free to contact me either on here or via my email if more convenient to you.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Graeme
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. Jim was my father-in-law. Have got some photo's including one which was presumably taken at Lympstone not long before he was demobbed as Lt Col SGB Paine was OC and I don't think he took command until 45. Will add the photo's when I have had a chance to scan them.

Ken Dewey was Jim's best friend in civvy street and he was quite active in British Legion Acton Branch.

Regards,

Graeme
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Graeme,

Pete wrote:The fact that he is shown on Naval Records as a storeman does not necessarily mean he was not in the Commando. In fact on a document I have seen for the HQ set up of each Army Commando it shows 2 storemen.

Pete is right - I have a copy of 'The Third Jungle Book' [the magazine of 3 Commando Brigade in SEAC] which details promotions and movements etc within the individual Commando Units ( No1, No5, No42 RM & No44 RM) and it shows various commandos being detailed for Stores, Cookhouse, Sgt's Mess - Waiter, Cobbler etc.

One edition announces the promotion of L/Cpl Wall to Cpl and then goes on to say that "he has also become the *TQMS and up to date with his 'Storeman' Fusilier Gruan must now hold more signatures than those given at the 'Frisco Conference"...

In another edition it list the RQMS of No5 Cdo and the **RQMS of No42 RM Cdo as both being Mentioned in Despatches proving that even the RQMS was a qualified commando

* TQMS, Troop Quartermaster Sergeant - which is obviously an appointment rather that a rank

** RQMS, Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (warrant officer at regimental level in British Army and Royal Marines).

Marine Jackson may have served some time in the Commando Stores but he was still a RM Commando and a valuable member of No41 RM.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Graeme
Forum Member

Nick,

Thanks for your comments. Jim may at some time have been a storeman but definitely fought. He was wounded circa July 44 but returned for the offensive into Germany.

Have attached three photo's which may give some clues.
[Thumb - Jim Lympstone.jpg]
 Filename Jim Lympstone.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Probably Lympstone 1945. Jim is extreme right of back row. Ken Dewey is extreme left of back row.
 Filesize 1165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  584 time(s)

[Thumb - Jim circa 1942.jpeg]
 Filename Jim circa 1942.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Jim circa 1942
 Filesize 1416 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  508 time(s)

[Thumb - Shoot.jpeg]
 Filename Shoot.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Have no info re this photo, but assume shield is Commando Badge.
 Filesize 1104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  587 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graeme

Thanks for posting the photos. On the shoot photo sadly I cannot see what is on the shield. I found a little snippet about Lt. Col. Paine and 41 RM Cdo connection on the RM Museum website. :

8th RM Battalion
HQ forming in April 1941,1 CO Lt?Col S. G. B. Paine, and the first recruits joined from initial training at Exton, where the Battalion was being formed as part of 103 RM Bde, in the autumn of 1941.1 In December men were drafted from the Battalion to the MNBDOs and the Battalion HQ moved to open the OCTU at Thurlestone (Devon). The Battalion re?forming at Dalditch, came under command of the CO of 7th RM Bn from 2 May 1942. When the need arose for a second RM Commando in the autumn of 1942, the Battalion HQ and most of the other ranks were transferred to 41
RM Commando, the Battalion formerly disbanding on 29 October 1942.

Please note that it states the
Battallion HQ were transferred to 41RM Cdo.
So that might have been his posting before 41RM Cdo. I suppose it all depends on when he joined etc.

I am no expert on Naval records but I have heard that they are not as easy to acquire as Army records. Have you actually received a copy of his Naval Service Record? There should also be a medical record available especially as he was wounded. The sad thing is that as each year passes there are fewer veterans left to ask and many of the Retired RM Associations are no longer active.

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 24/09/2010 18:17:54

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graeme,

PM sent re photos.

I don't know if you're interested but there is a book called:
"They Did What Was Asked of Them"
[41 (Royal Marines) Commando 1942 - 1946]

by Raymond Mitchell

I picked up a copy from my local 'Antique' Shop today - £1

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graeme,

With regard the shield on the third photo, I can confirm that the badge is indeed the Globe & Laurel - the Royal Marine Badge. There appears to be words under the badge but I'm unable to work them out.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Graeme
Forum Member

Pete/Nick,

Many thanks for your responses.

I have got and read Raymond Mitchell's "They did what was asked of them" and found it very interesting. Will try and pin down Jim's Troop.

The reason I believe the picture with Lt Col Paine was taken at Lympstone in 1945/6? is because he did 2 spells there but the Adjutant was John Taplin who was Adjutant at the time of D-Day and assumed command when the CO was wounded on D+1. (See aforementioned book Command Structures for various battles)

Kind regards,

Graeme
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graeme,

The photos of Jim Jackson have now been posted in the 41 RM Cdo Album in the Gallery

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/41+RM+Commando/Jim+circa+1942.jpeg.html

If there are any further comments you'd like to add please let me know.
If Jim appears on the 'Shoot' photograph matbe you could positively identify him to me so that I can annotate the photo accordingly.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Graeme
Forum Member

Nick,

Many thanks for this.

Having started to re-read Raymond Mitchell's book am sure that Iwas wrong with my dating for the photo of Jim with the group including Lt Col Paine. The RSM was R Keeble who is mentioned in the book as being the RSM of the founding group.

Regards,

Graeme
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graeme,
That's not a problem - if you can sort it all out then I'll be happy to amend the dates/captions etc.

(I haven't started to read my £1 copy yet)

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger