commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Possible Commando - Jordan?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Hello all,

Bit of a mystery regarding a South Lancs Regt guy - believe he went to Norway with 4 IC in 1940, he then next appears as a Chindit in 1943, dying as a pow in 1944 !

My ex-S.Lancs and 5 Commando chap seems to think this chap may have been recruited to 4 Troop, 2 Commando, and then volunteered for the China mission, this may be how he ended up with the Chindits.

Can I ask that a check against any lists that have been compiled be made for the surname, it would at least give me a starting point - his service history has a 3 year gap in it - showing only that his regiment was 13th Kings Liverpool Regt (who were Chindits), but it doesnt quite add up.

Pete.
Pete Keane
Forum Member

His first name was William, so maybe Bill?

Checked the roll for 2 Commando but not there.

Pete
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,
you've probably already followed this up but his CWGC record

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2260175

shows that he was awarded a Military Medal - any idea where he won that award?
That may throw some light on his service...

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2010 19:24:55

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

We've found the gazette entry for it, dated 1943, and thats where we've got the Kings Liverpool details from, but we cannot find the details of the incident for which he was gazetted - it could be from the first chindit expedition, or possibly earlier in 1943.

The odd thing is his service history, theres a clear 2 year gap on one page, he appears to have gone to India as a S.Lancs (not with a battalion - they didnt go to India for a few more months), and when he was there he seems to have joined the Kings!

I've seen records that need some deciphering, but his actually provides no info about his army service!

He is referred to briefly in one book, where he is described as leading a small group who headed for China - again, not the actions of a private drafted in 1940?

I can scent 142 Commando Company, hence my interest, and he was captured the same day as a friends grandfather, so we've been trying to establish a connection, but as with all things, not easy.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger