commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Liston 6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
caldbeck
Forum Member

Hello

I have a website on the war casualties of my home town http://keswick-at-war.yolasite.com/, recently a member of William Liston`s family got in touch to see if I had any more information on him as he had lodged with my family at Keswick during WW2, he married a Keswick lass and appears on the local memorial.

This is what I do know - William Liston 3660649 South Lancs Rgt, KIA 11th June 1944 while serving with No 6 Commando and buried at Ranville.

I have a Photo taken at Keswick which shows him badged to 12 Commando, he is believed to be originally from Eire.

Any information about him would be welcome or any pointers as to where to look would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Steve Scott
Cumbria

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:17:58

[WWW]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Steve,

There's a member on this site Peter Bowe who runs another comprehensive site dedicated to No6 Commando http://www.6commando.com/index.html worth a look if you haven't done so already.

Regards Vic
caldbeck
Forum Member

Many thanks Vic, I did not know of this site and yes he is on the roll of honour with a photo of his gravestone and I now know he was in 5 troop.

Thanks again for your reply.

Steve

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/09/2010 19:44:13

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve
Thanks for replying to my pm and allowing the CVA to place your photo of William in our gallery. The larger photo you sent will be fine and I will update this message when I have posted it. I have replied here so as others are aware and to avoid duplication. As regards his time with No. 12 Commando have you read the 12 Commando history on our main menu under Commando history. You will note that 12 Commando was disbanded early and that most went from there to No.1 or No.6 Commando so that fits in. His army service record should show dates and units etc and would be worth the family applying for, although there is a £30 fee and it can take several months to come through. Here is a link on how to apply:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

In Memory of Private 3660649 WILLIAM LISTON
South Lancashire Regiment and No. 6 Commando
who died age 24 on 11 June 1944
Remembered with honour at RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

You also mentioned about Reg Makeham in your pm being remembered on the memorial at keswick. The information you gave about him was correct. Reg was in fact in No.2 Commando and the operation he was on when captured and subsequently executed was called Operation Musketoon. Reg is also remembered on the Brookwood Memorial and in the CVA No.2 Commando In Remembrance album. There is more about Reg and the others who died, and also those who escaped, and the raid itself, in these albums:
Those who were executed:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/In+Remembrance/Operation+Musketoon/

Those who escaped:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Operation+Musketoon_002/

Pete

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 10/09/2010 17:39:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The photo is now posted in our No.6 Commando album and it can be seen here
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/WilliamListoncopy.jpg.html

An entry from the No.6 Commando War Diary (courtesy of the Pegasus Archive website) states the following for the 11th June 1944:

11th June 1944 Place: In the field, Le Plein

We shell BREVILLE. We are shelled heavily. We capture a ½ track 20mm gun.

p.m. - Continued to be shelled. Casualties 3.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
caldbeck
Forum Member

Thanks for your trouble Pete, the war diary link especially which I have passed on to William`s son and nephew.

Steve
[WWW]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

For never forget his sacrifice for the freedom of Europe.

*** Update from Pete R. This photo now added to the Commando War Graves album ***
[Thumb - W. LISTON         6 Cdo  RANVILLE.JPG]
 Filename W. LISTON 6 Cdo RANVILLE.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 709 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  464 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/09/2010 22:18:30

caldbeck
Forum Member

Keswick Memorial, W Liston 6 Commando, Reg Makeham 2 Commando

*** Update from Pete R. This photo now added to the Commando War Graves, Memorials and Plaques gallery ***

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/09/2010 22:17:18

[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger