commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Captain Michael Burn MC - No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death yesterday of Micky Burn MC. Micky was Captain of 6 troop No.2 Commando and was awarded the Military Cross for his actions during the raid on St Nazaire on the 28th March 1942. He was captured during this raid. I was informed of his passing in an email from the author Jim Dorrian. Here are just a few of his words from that email
" I received the sad news just moments ago that Micky died this evening after a massive stroke. His old friend Nick Golding was with him, so he was not alone. I'm writing these words, but frankly can't believe them. No one is indestructible - but I guess we all thought Micky played by different rules!

His citation for the award of the Military Cross:
On the 28th March 1942 during the Commando raid on St Nazaire, France, Captain Michael Burn was in command of an Assault Group. Following a direct hit on the motor launch carrying his group, the ship was put out of action, and most of his Assault Group were killed or wounded. Captain Burn, after nearly being drowned, and pulled ashore by one of his men, quickly recovered and proceeded alone to his objective after ascertaining that these gun positions were not in action. Entirely alone he carried out the destruction of these positions setting them on fire with incendaries. He continued causing many enemy casulaties with hand grenades until all of his ammunition was expended, when he was taken prisoner. This action of Capt. Burn's showed his determination to carry out his task although his men were out of action; his courage and initiative being an example deserving the highest praise. (L.G.5.7.45)

Rest in peace Micky
[Thumb - Captain Michael Burn CO 6 Troop_.jpg]
 Filename Captain Michael Burn CO 6 Troop_.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Captain Michael Burn MC No.2 Commando 6 troop
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1640 time(s)

[Thumb - Micky Burn Victory signal.jpg]
 Filename Micky Burn Victory signal.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Micky Burn
 Filesize 16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  730 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:29:44

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete, please pass on my condolences to his family and friends. He represents the ultimate commando spirit and has certainly left an everlasting impression on many.

Micky - have a wonderful reunion with all the boys.

Janet
Anthony Stilwell
Forum Member

.....One more of the "Valiants" has passed into Eternity , may He Rest in Peace in the Joy of the Lord and meet up once again with all his Comrades , my Sincere Condolences to all his Family......and the Commando Family.......Anthony Stilwell
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

my heart sank when i heard the news. His two fingered salute when captured will be remembered .Another true commando legend leaves us RIP

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just received the funeral arrangements and they are as follows:

The funeral will take place on Thursday 16th September, at 1.00pm. The location is Llanfihangel Church (see map attached). The church is located on a hill approached by a very narrow, climbing lane, and parking outside is limited. Cars can park on the main road at the bottom of the lane. The church is not large, and attendance is expected to be in excess of its capacity. The location is very beautiful. The service itself will include Communion for those wishing to receive it. Following the service, donations in his memory will be received, these going, at his request, to Llanfihangel Church.

Following the funeral, refreshments will be available, at Castel Deudraeth, which is accessed by the road leading to Portmeirion village.

A brief list of places to stay nearby is also attached. For those staying on the Porthmadog side of the estuary, the Harlech side can be accessed by a toll road, shown as Ford on the map: this runs alongside the railway.

The Funeral Directors, for those wishing to send flowers, are 'Pritchard & Griffiths', Dublin Street, Tremadog, LL49 9RH - 01766 512091
[Thumb - Church- Google map[1].jpg]
 Filename Church- Google map[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  592 time(s)

Filename Accomodation near Plas Tan-yr-allt-2.doc [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  682 time(s)

[Thumb - Llanfihangel Church.jpg]
 Filename Llanfihangel Church.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 443 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  541 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 10/09/2010 14:40:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
petitjean56
Forum Member

Very sad new
I had the honour and the pleasure to meet Capt Micky Burn several times in St Nazaire, London, Falmouth during the ceremonies and lunch of St Nazaire Society. I spent a lot of time talking at Micky, he spoke french very fluently and I had many contacts by letter each years.
He was very a modest man and a real gentleman.
Great Man.
Today for his funeral, my thoughts and prayers go out to him.
Rest in peace Michael.

Bernard PETITJEAN

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger