commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Leonard Bentley, 30AU  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
J_Maffeo
Forum Member

I'm looking for information about Leonard Bentley, marine, "B" Troop, 30 Assault Unit.
He was another anglo-argentine volunteer, and died of wounds, after a bombing in St. Mere Eglise (June 11, 1944).
His service number was CH/X114551.

Regards,

Jose Maffeo

José Maffeo
Nicholas Rankin
Forum Member

Jose,
Leonard Bentley was very young, maybe 18, and it was his first day in action. They were in a bocage field near Ste-Mere-Eglise when a German plane dropped a canister of anti-personnel bombs. More experienced men had dug in but many of those who hadn't were wounded. Bentley and Wright were two Marines killed and also Lt Alexander Ionides RNVR. This information comes from Bon Royle's testimony in Attain by Surprise, ed Nutting, which is an oral history of 30AU, about whom I am also writing.
Suerte con su trabajo, amigo!
Nicolas Rankin
J_Maffeo
Forum Member

Great info Nicholas, Leonard Bentley is a mistery. I couldn't find any information about his family in Argentina.
If you find more information about Bentley or other Anglo Argentine veteran, please let me know.
Thanks again.

Jose Maffeo

José Maffeo
Nicholas Rankin
Forum Member

Jose: - Have you noticed that CWGC spell his name LENNARD? What Bon Royle wrote in full was 'The saddest casualty was another B troop chap. He had come from the Argentine, of British parents, and could only have been 18 [actually he was 20] This was his first day in action, and he was lying in a ditch, fading away in front of us through internal bleeding while we watched helplessly; fifty years passed before I found out that his name was Bentley, inscribed on his gravestone in Bayeux military cemetery.' Attain by Surprise p.192. I hope you're going to publish your work, I'd like to read about the Anglo-Argentine contribution to WW2. Good luck! Nicholas

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger