commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
chalkysuper7
Forum Member

Hi, Im looking for information regarding Herbert George Edward Huggett ( my grandfather) who was in 62 commando, and was active in arromanche pre D-Day invasions. He is alive and well as we speak and im looking to gain as much information about his exploits and his commando troop when he was in training to his demob. I hope to present him with a photograph of his troop in training and any information on his chums he trained and worked with as a present for his birthday when he will be 90 on october 31st

Any information will be greatly received

I am ex-forces myself, and left 12 months ago, 24 years in the RAF, the last 8 years at RAF odiham, 6 of those years on 7 Sqn Chinooks

Regards Dale

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dale and welcome to the CVA

I am very pleased to hear your grandfather is well and the idea of your present to him on his 90th birthday is an excellent one. 62 Commando is one of the Commando Units rarely mentioned in messages on our site. 62 Commando was one of the units that changed its role and name over the remaining war years after its formation in 1941. In fact I have even seen it written that the name of 62 Commando was a cover name given due to its secretive future role as a number of very small mobile strike force units working with the SOE, different to that of the original Army Commando role. I am no expert on this Commando unit (and I would ask you to correct any errors I make) but from what I have read in different publications, the unit was at some stage later joined by members of the Small Scale Raiding Force (SSRF), served on some operations with the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) in North Africa, and also became part of 'L' Detachment in Egypt. For a short period it was designated No.1 Small Scale Raiding Force before In February 43 they became part of the 1st Special Air Service. Now as I said earlier there are numerous variations in books, wikipedia, and other online sites that differ slightly in the history of this unit. The danger with books and wikipedia, which is often just taken from books, is that some authors research much more than others, many inaccuracies can follow, and I would much rather either hear it from official sources, or members of the unit. As such any information you can help us with that comes from official sources or veterans such as your grandfather would be greatly appreciated.
I hope someone on here has some more substantial information for you, but if not I hope at some time in the future you may care to share with us any information that you have from either your grandfather or your own research.
Finally I would ask you to read the section on our homepage under Join the CVA and invite your grandfather and yourself, if you have not already done, so to become members. You would both be most welcome.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/08/2010 13:07:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
chalkysuper7
Forum Member

Hi pete, thanks for your reply, I have managed to gleen some inforamtion about his exploits. H did indeed serve with SOE during the war, one particular event he mention was in arromanche in the weeks leading to the D-Day invasions, as he says "disrupting lines of communication ( with a grin on his face) during which time he lost a very good friend who was a female SOE operative, I cant recall her name and he is quite reluctant to talk about it, understandably. I have today managed to speak to him again and he said he started his training in 1942 with 2 cdo, don't know if this helps and he mentioned a two good friends at the time, a Cpt J Weedon ( if memory serves) and also durnford slater smith ?

He also mentioned many of his friends on demob went to be mercenaries and died in china I believe in a bombing, I know this information is sketchy, but as you can understand I dont like to push him as he still holds a lot of grief.

Regards Dale
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dale I think it possible that your grandfather was, by this time, with the SAS at Arromanche. You should see if he will apply for a copy of his Service Record (you can do the paperwork). There is no fee and it may help you in your research of your grandfather's past military history. Here is a,link on how to do so:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/FOIContact/RequestsForAccessToPersonalDataHeldByTheMinistryOfDefence.htm

If you have any photos of him from his army days, and he is agreeable to do so, then we would like to see them on our site. You can post them here on the forum or if you wish send them by email to me and I will do so

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/09/2014 22:17:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger