commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Americans attached to the British Commando's?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
mike68
Forum Member

Good afternoon gentleman,

I am trying to find information for my good friend about his father. Here is what I know and have been told by my friend.

His fathers name was Harry D. Edmiston and he was in the US Navy during WW II. His rank in the Navy was SK 2 (store keeper) and he enlisted in 1942 at the age of 17.

He was attached to the British Commando's and was in England (?). He and approximately 100 men went ashore the day before D-Day with only a pistol, some knives and a garrote to take out German machine gun nests. According to my friends father, only approximately 8-10 made it back.

After the war, he was stationed on the USS Mercury as security for the return trip of the British Crown Jewels, gold, etc.

After he got out of the US Navy, he returned to civilian life. My friend said that he was still "wound pretty tight" and would practice for several hours after work everyday shooting his 1911 and throwing his knives.

In his later years, I had the privilege of meeting and talking with my friends father. He was a true warrior and an honorable man.

Any information anyone could give me about the history of American soldiers attached to the British Commando's would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the help!

Mike
mike68
Forum Member

I know that this is a long shot guys, but I will not give up in my quest.

I have done more research both here and other places on the internet but still can't find any more specific information.

I do know that in the beginning of America's start into special operations such as the Rangers, that they did train with British SOE in Scotland (and England I think). He was not a Ranger since I am currently reading a book about them and his name is not among the list of team members.

My friends father did tell him that he he fought with the British Commando's during the war (he passed away in 2003). I do not really have any other information since he did not talk about his experiences to his son (my friend).

Any information, books, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the help!

Mike
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there

Welcome to the CVA. I am assuming you have gone down the line of US Naval Service Records and US National Archives in your research. There were so many different Combined Operations units at that time and this includes within the Commandos. By then there were Army Commandos, Royal Marines Commandos, Royal Navy Commandos and even Royal Air Force Servicing Commandos. There was also the SAS and SBS, 30 Assault Unit, Landing Craft Obstruction Clearance Units (see Hiltforce), and that's before going onto the SOE, Jedburgh Teams, etc etc. There was a unit called Hiltforce that I have heard of which operated from May 1944 on reconnaisance operations across the channel searching for obstacles. Many were from No.10IA Commando and more than likely the French troop of that unit. They also included Royal Engineers. Records and information about all of these units is stored in various places such as the UK National Archives or the Imperial war Museum. However it is not all in one place nor is it all even in one unit. So many of these operations were covert and not necessarily recorded in War Diaries. There is no list of individuals who went through Commando Training after Achnacarry became the Commando Basic Training Centre in 1942, although there is alist of units.
You could try contacting the Imperial War Museum for help:
http://iwm.altarama.com/reft000.aspx

There are also some other Forums that you may wish to try including
John Robertsons's Special Forces Roll of Honour http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php

or WW2 Talk http://www.ww2talk.com/

They may be of some assistance. Other than that I wish you good luck in your search and hope that someone is able to assist you more from our own site.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 06/08/2010 12:32:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike68
Forum Member

Pete----Thank you very much for the information sir, I appreciate it sir!

I know that my search is a shot in the dark but both myself and my friend are interested in knowing what his father did during the war.

Again, thank you for your time and post.

Mike
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi mike,

Thought this topic might interest you and may be worth following up.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/831.page

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
mike68
Forum Member

Nick,

Thank you sir for the information!!! It is much appreciated. I have also sent a question to the Imperial War Museum to see if they have any information.

I will talk to my friend to see if he happens to have any patches, etc. from his father that will help me in my search.

Again, thank you all for you assistance and any future help!

Mike

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger