commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
SAS info and a unseen troop photo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi all

Firstly thanks for all the help you have all given me recently, I would still be twiddling my thumbs and scratching my head, if it wasn't for you all.

However I need a bit of help (again)

Attached are 3 pictures, My grandad sporting a tie, even though Commandos did not wear ties normally in case any one spots him in a photo.

The second is a collection of my grandads insignia, this is were it gets a little exciting.

The third is one which my grandma has the original, I think this may be a new picture, unsure if its 3 troop, 4 troop or even Beds & Herts. If anyone can help that would be superb.

My Grandad passed commando selection in 4 troop, he spent time in Africa, Sciliy and Italy. He went back to the UK just before D-Day and then joined 3 Troop and met up with Stan Scott and Bud Eaton who have shared good stories and great yet alarming eye witnesses accounts :)

However the trail in Africa, Italy and Sicily turns cold. All I know is my grandad spent alot of the time getting dropped off and picked up in submarines on the enemy coast and according to my grandma and Dad was in or served with the SAS, my Grandad signed a secerts act and when I mentioned this to Stan, Stan mentioned that it sounds like he was in the SAS.

I have the above badges that my grandad kept with him, he has the wings in green colour too, he also has another set of wings which look slighty different.

How is the best way to carry on this research, Stan said it would be hard, people who served with SAS do not talk about it much as they signed the secrets act, which my grandad did tell me he signed, Stan mentined they were all serious soldiers so took the secrets act seriously.

I have the book Winged Dagger (Roy Farrah) and I have not red it recently but I am sure my Grandad is briefly mentioned in here.

Its a bit of a shame really, this is a real piece of the puzzle I would love to uncover.

Thanks Paul
[Thumb - Thomas Jennings[1].JPG]
 Filename Thomas Jennings[1].JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Tucker Jennings
 Filesize 3245 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  525 time(s)

[Thumb - Dads badges[1].JPG]
 Filename Dads badges[1].JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Tucker Jennings Insignia
 Filesize 1667 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  481 time(s)

[Thumb - Unkown[2].JPG]
 Filename Unkown[2].JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Unknown Photo
 Filesize 6980 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  572 time(s)

Grandson to Thomas 'AKA Tucker' Jennings 3 Commando - 3 Troop
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul,

The third photo can be found in the book Fighting with the Commandos, written by Scotty. The photo in the book has been made from the left of the men as you look at it, but it is made on the same spot as the photo you posted, namely Limehouse, East London, 1944.

In the book there are names on the photo to identify the people with.

Front row, from left to right: TSM Coaker, Abbot, Parker, Dickinson, Scott (Scotty), Pritchard, Synnot, Lt Lewis (with beret), Lt Ponsford. Behind both Lts is Capt Westley (also with beret). After Lt Ponsford the names of the people in the front row stop.

Second row: Edwards (on your photo the man right behind Abbot), ?, Rabbetts, Osbourne, Hull, Hughes, Grant, ?, ?, ?, Melville, ?, ?, ?.

Third row: McMillan, Dean, ?, Clarke, Bluett (both standing), Gowers, Barnes, ?, White, Harnott, Hutt, Freeman, Edmunds, Salisbury (both with beret).

As the photo in the book has a slightly different angle then the photo you posted, it is perhaps a bit tricky to get the right name with the right man, so I hope I have it right.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This excellent photo of 3 troop No.3 Commando is now placed alongside the photo provided by Stan Scott with the names included. Any errors, amendations, or additions to the names please let me know.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/3+troop/3+Cdo.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/07/2010 19:06:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gavin
Forum Member

n

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/08/2010 00:13:54

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger