commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dieppe Raid Certificates - No.3 and No.4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In 1997 the French government issued certificates to all Commandos who participated in the Dieppe raid. Those issued to the No.3 and No.4 Army Commandos were brought to the UK and handed to the original Commando Association for distribution. Although many were issued to individuals or their families, and despite efforts by the original Commando Association to do so, there are still many that have not been. They are presently retained by the former National Secretary of the original Commando Association, Ron Youngman. If you are a Veteran of No.3 or No.4 Commando, and you took part in the raid, or you are a relative of such a Veteran who took part in the raid, have you got a certificate. If the answer is "No", then please contact Ron on the email address shown below. Please give full details including: 1. Full name of the Commando; 2. whether No.3 or No.4 Cdo.; 3. your name and, if a relative, relationship to the Commando concerned; 4. your full address and postcode. Ron will then check to see whether he has the certificate. If he does not then the certificate will have previously been issued at some stage.

Ron Youngman

^Update from Admin. 16 August 2023
All the certificates that Ron had before he sadly died were issued or had errors preventing issue. Most had previously been issued by the former Association. There are no more certificates .

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 17/08/2023 15:00:39

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Ron Youngman advises me that there has been a steady flow of people contacting him about these certificates and he has been able to dispatch them accordingly.

Just a reminder to those applying. Please supply all the information required as shown above and briefly copied here

Please give full details including: 1. Full name of the Commando; 2. whether No.3 or No.4 Cdo.; 3. your name and, if a relative, relationship to the Commando concerned; 4. your full address and postcode.

**** If he does have the Certificate Ron will ask for a donation of £10 to the Commando Benevolent Fund who have done for so many years, and still do, a marvellous job in support of Army Commando Veterans . Once eligibility is confirmed please ask Ron for details of the current cost and payment method ****

This message was edited 13 times. Last update was at 17/08/2023 15:01:45

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

"In 1997 the French government issued certificates to all Commandos who participated in the Dieppe raid"

Who do I contact to find out about my granddad's certificate as I think he was in A or 40 Commando at the time.

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/08/2023 20:15:33

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

I've one of those certificate given to me from a veteran, in 1997.
But this veteran wasn't in Dieppe raid.

sincerely

stéphane
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

Seems a long time since last posted.

I did make a submission for this certificate but the reply I received was that there are no official records of my late father being at Dieppe.

My father was with 101 Troop and was taken prisoner at Dieppe. May have been loaned out to another unit?

Part of my frustration is I can't find out what he was doing there and who with.....but I know it wasn't a social visit.

Anyway, It appears that being captured at Dieppe is not regarded as official enough.

Regards,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I hope someone can help you with this, Colin.

My dad's is framed and up on the wall.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Colin,
I have a copy of a document that lists your Father with Officers of 3 Commando who were taken prisoner at Berneval duirng Operation Jubilee.
Send me a PM and I will forward the document. Hopefully that will help with your application?
Guy
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Guy,

Many thanks for discovering my Dad at Berneval, first I have learnt of this.

What a relief!.....knew he was there somewhere

Sent a PM to you.

All the best,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

I know that Ron Youngman has died. Does anyone know what happened to the certificates,

Asking for family member of a No 4 Commando.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I will endeavour to find this out Bill

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bill

There was a big push to get the last ones out before Ron became too ill. And Ron only ever had those that had not already been issued directly to members who were on the raid. Additionally quite a few could not be issued as they had errors. Basically there are no more. 

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger