commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Jonathan Crookes 40 Commando RM  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is an extract from the MOD release on the death of Marine Crookes. The full release can be read on this link :
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/MarineJonathanDavidThomasCrookesKilledInAfghanistan.htm

It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Marine Jonathan David Thomas Crookes, from 40 Commando Royal Marines, was killed in Afghanistan on Friday 16 July 2010. Marine Crookes, from Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, serving as part of Combined Force Sangin, was killed in an explosion while on foot patrol in the Sangin District of Helmand province.
Marine Crookes was born in Birmingham and lived with his mother and fiancée, Danielle, in Halesowen, West Midlands. He was 26 years old, and was a younger brother to Robert and Jane. He joined the Royal Marines Reserve, Birmingham Detachment, in September 2005 passing for duty as a Royal Marines Commando in November 2006. He was awarded the Commando Dagger for the best all-round recruit in training. Outside of the Royal Marines he was studying for a degree in international relations and worked as a tree surgeon and labourer. Volunteering for an operational tour to Afghanistan, he was drafted to 40 Commando Royal Marines in May 2007. Shortly after, he deployed to Sangin, Afghanistan, on Op HERRICK 7. In September 2009 he was once again mobilised to join 40 Commando Royal Marines for deployment to Afghanistan. Joining Charlie Company, he immediately conducted Mission Specific Training (MST) for Op HERRICK 12. In April 2010 he deployed to Afghanistan and was based at Forward Operating Base Sabit Qadam. During the early evening of Friday 16 July 2010, Charlie Company was conducting a local reassurance patrol. At 1839hrs local time an explosion occurred. Tragically Marine Crookes was killed in action as a result of the blast.

Marine Crookes' mother, Sue Crookes, said:
"Jon was a caring, thoughtful son, full of life. If he made up his mind to do something he always achieved it to a high standard. I am so proud of him. Generous with his time, if he couldn't do something for me, he would always find a friend in the Marines who could. A talented student, he was studying international relations at university and he was using his experience deployed with the Royal Marines to inform his thesis. Danni, his fiancée, is understandably devastated, as is the whole family. We would be grateful if the media would leave us in peace to grieve together."

Marine Crookes' fiancée, Danni Davis, who had been with Marine Crookes for six years, said:
"He was the love of my life. I cant explain how much I loved him but I am so very proud of him. It was so hard to share him with the Marines and his duties but he always did it so well."

His sister, Jane Crookes, said:
"He was a devoted brother, always there to help, he always made me smile. A loving uncle to his niece and nephew - we loved him very much."

Lieutenant Colonel Paul James, Commanding Officer 40 Commando Group, Combined Force Sangin, said:

"Marine Jonny Crookes was a giant of a man; in stature, in character and in life. Supremely brave, he died at the front of his patrol ? a position which requires enormous skill and courage, and a position that he filled with consummate professionalism. He gave confidence and reassurance to all, and in particular his friends and comrades in Charlie Company who loved him like a brother. He was an inspirational marine who, as a reservist, volunteered again to come to Sangin with 40 Commando. He was a bright, strong, fearless man with a selfless, determined, but well-humoured and affable manner; everyone admired Jonny Crookes. Our thoughts and prayers are with his mother, his fiancée, his family and friends. He was truly one of life's great men and will be sorely missed by all in 40 Commando. Marine Jonny Crookes was, and always will be, a Royal Marines Commando."

Major Ed Moorhouse, Officer Commanding Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, said:
"We have lost a truly outstanding man. Marine Jonny Crookes, known universally as 'Crooksey', was everything you could ask for in a Royal Marines Commando; he was a mountain of a man, strong, powerful and brave. His courage knew no bounds, he was one of the bravest of the brave in Charlie Company and that accolade is only reserved for my point men. These men are exceptional, as was Jonny; they lead the patrols that move along the alleys and compounds of Sangin in the full knowledge of the danger that exists around every corner; in doing so they accept the risks and dangers solely to allow those behind them to walk in their steps. I am continually humbled by the likes of Jonny Crookes and men like him. Jonny Crookes brought so much to Charlie Company, as a man with operational experience, and a reservist, he had a wider perspective on life and a maturity of age that are both critical on operations. He was a father figure to those in 7 Troop. A thoughtful man, a courageous man, quietly unassuming and dedicated, he was a man who the young operational virgins in Charlie Company could talk to when times became challenging and questions were being asked. Jonny Crookes was that pillar of strength that all commanders rely on. He was the most stoical man I have ever met in all of my years of soldiering; he was an inspiration to us all. A man of presence, bearing and gravitas, the mould has been broken; there will not be another Jonny Crookes. Charlie Company remembers in their prayers, Jonny's mother, fiancée, brother and sister at this tragic time. Jonny Crookes was the epitome of a Charlie Company Spartan in every sense of the word, an outstanding soldier, noble to his brothers in arms, strong and powerful yet modest and caring. He was a unique man and one who we will miss enormously. Jonny Crookes may your soul Rest in Peace

We will remember them
[Thumb - MarineCrookes.jpg]
 Filename MarineCrookes.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Marine Jonathan David Thomas Crookes 40 Commando RM. Photo from the MOD
 Filesize 234 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  325 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:26:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger