commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Scotty at Achnacarry for ITV prog on 8th August ***note programme change ***  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
scotty3cdo
Forum Member

Scotty was interviewed at Achnacarry for the BBC programme COUNTRYFILE to be shown on BBC1 at 7.00pm on 8th August 2010. (subject to their timings).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/08/2010 10:09:22

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Will someone tape it so we can see it in November?

Thanks, Janet
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Don't forget tomorrow night.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is some confusion with regard to which programme this is. Initially it was said to be Countryfile which is BBC1. I have checked the BBC website and no mention of Achnacarry was on there. So I emailed Terry, Stan's son in law who posted it, and he has pm'd me to say "I was told it is scheduled on ITV for the 8th at 7.00pm and is shown in our listings as an hour long programme to discover the part played by coastal and rural communities helping to win the Second World War.

So to clarify the programme is Countrywise at War at 7pm Sunday the 8th August on ITV and not Countryfile which is on BBC1 at 8pm the same day

If you miss it, the programme will be available to view online for about 4 weeks at this link:
http://player.stv.tv/programmes/countrywise/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

they have been showing clips all week .Scotty looks in good form and the Scottish countryside looks wonderful

SE Donnison
[MSN]
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Just watched it brilliant.

Cant believe Tucker got in there too with 2 photos.

Grandson to Thomas 'AKA Tucker' Jennings 3 Commando - 3 Troop
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I just tried to watch the program via the link, but it is a no go at this end due to this line: For copyright reasons, this video is available to UK viewers only.

So I dearly support the suggestion made by Janet for the program to be taped or put on a dvd to be shown in Fort William in November. Or are there other means of watching the program?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jack/Janet

I have it recorded on my Sky TV box its just how i get it from there to disc that I am not sure of. As a last resort if no one else can help I'll see what I can do. I am sure Scottish Televison who showed it, will help a Scot, who wants it shown again, in November, in Scotland's Commando homeland, to a group of Commandos, and their families and friends.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/08/2010 22:43:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Steve Donnison said he would try to get someone to tape - he has a box as well.

Janet

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/08/2010 22:42:58

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Paul

Your last words to me in our recent phone conversation was that your grandfather, Tucker Jennings MM, who served for periods in several different Commando units, in addition to No.3 Cdo., " certainly got around a bit".

I must say when I saw his face in the photos on the screen I thought, "Yes Paul was absolutely right !! "

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/08/2010 17:06:22

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I have emailed Wendy Woolfson at ITV who first contacted me about the program. I have asked if it would be possible for her to arrange for a DVD to be sent to the CVA. If so, it will be shown in the Alexander in November and I will also try to get it uploaded to the site in due course.

Regards

G

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Geoff.

- Janet
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was able to find this much:

Bettany Hughes travels to Achnacarry, in the foothills of Ben Nevis, to learn how ancient survival techniques from the Highlands of Scotland helped create the Commandoes - a thoroughly modern military elite. She meets Stuart Allan, Senior Curator of Military History at the National Museums Scotland and author of ?Commando Country? [http://shop.nms.ac.uk/products/Commando-Country.html]. Stuart explains how the isolated, rugged terrain of the Achnacarry Estate made this the ideal training ground for a fighting force capable of surviving behind enemy lines. Stan ?Scottie? Scott, who volunteered to join the Commandoes at the age of 18, gives a vivid account of the grueling training, which often involved live ammunition. He was to put this training to good use in June 1944 when he and his comrades took part in the D-Day invasion.

http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/countrywise/abouttheseries/#12

- Janet
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was a really good programme. Veterans of the Little Ships of Dunkirk ,the ladies of the Land Army,, North Wales hiding our treasures from the Blitz and there at the end ,,,,, Scotty . i was surprised it didnt show the Commmando Memorial But great views of Achnacarry.Scotty spoke well as he always does Made me so proud

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger