commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Col/Sgt R T (Bob) Ghest. PLY X100233.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Steve George
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello, I am the grandson of Col/Sgt R T (Bob or Beau) Ghest. PLY X100233.
I have recently found this site and wondered if there are any vets out there who may have served with him.

I know he was with 9th R.M. from 1941-43, and then 46 Commando until demob. I have his copy of "The Story of 46 Commando, R.M.", and also many photos of individuals, groups, and places that he took during the period from D-Day onwards, most of which are enscribed on the back.

Any information regarding my grandfather would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Steve.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/07/2010 21:10:01

250 Fld Amb, RAMC. HM Coastguard.
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

I know several 46 RM Cdo. veterans. Hope I could help you, I sent to you a private e-mail

sincerely

stéphane
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi (sorry but you didn't mention your name)

A very warm welcome to the CVA, very interesting to read your message concerning your Grandfather, you mentioned that you have many photographs from his time with the Commandos. It would be really great if you could upload them on to the CVA gallery (including the inscriptions that you mentioned), this would enable a wider audience to view them, and you never know one of your photos may contain the face of another viewer's relative. If you require any assistance to upload your photos (and I really hope that you do) then I or others on this site would be only too glad to be of assistance in this matter. You would of course be credited as the owner and none of your images would be able to be used or otherwise reproduced without your express permission.
I don't know if you are already aware of the fact but you can apply for a copy of your GF's service records, I and quite a few others on this site have already done this and received some very useful info. In my case this was in the form of copies of all my father's original Army documents, the following link will take you to the section of the forum where the required application forms can be downloaded.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/recordsmedalsbadges.htm

Good luck, Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Steve George
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch, and the tip about service records - something I hadn't thought about. I will sort through the photos, pick out the ones of interest and upload them to the gallery. Looks like the scanner is going to be busy! :wink:
Cheers,
Steve.
[Thumb - IMG_0005.jpg]
 Filename IMG_0005.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Col/Sgt Ghest and friend out for a rabbit somewhere in Germany! (Col/Sgt Ghest on left).
 Filesize 121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  454 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/07/2010 20:45:42

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Steve George has sent me copies of many of his photos from his grandfather's days in 46 RM Commando. There are a lot and I have begun to upload them. As we only previously had 3 photos in our 46 RM Cdo album these are a very welcome addition. A link to the album is here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/07/2010 22:29:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Excellent set of RM Commando photos, the image containing Marine Hardy looked familliar to me from one of the books that I have. Having now checked all of my books I managed to find the image which actually contains another RM Commando LCpl Tickle (48 RM) also receiving a MM from none other than Gen Montgomery. Was the image that you uploaded cropped from this complete version that I have just described and attached to this message, the book where the entire photo has been reproduced is called "British Commandos 1940 - 46" byTim Moreman published by Osprey.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - V55-LCpl Tickle of No.48 RM Commando and Marine Hardy of No.46 RM commando, being awarded MMs by General Bernard Montgomery for actions in Normandy..jpg]
 Filename V55-LCpl Tickle of No.48 RM Commando and Marine Hardy of No.46 RM commando, being awarded MMs by General Bernard Montgomery for actions in Normandy..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 928 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  471 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 16/07/2010 00:22:48

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

The photo of Sgt Vardy you refer to was posted back in Dec. 2009 and is not one supplied in this current set, although there is one of him I am about to post . Our photo states it is from John Robertson's Special Forces Roll of Honour website. As to where John got it from you'll have to ask him.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/

The photo you posted above in the forum is already in our main RM Cdo gallery however there is no contributor shown. As you know we lost some details awhile back. Photos from books now have to show relevant 'permissions' have been obtained, however as it has already been in the gallery somewhile (July 2009) I will update it with the information you have supplied

I have now uploaded another good set of pictures of 46 RM Cdo. kindly supplied by Steve. One more set left. Many contain just first names so if anyone can assist with any further details please update this message or place a comment on the photo concerned.

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 16/07/2010 10:56:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Steve George
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello again,

Thanks everyone for your response to this thread. Among his collection my grandfather had this photo (below). Very different to the others, it is about postcard size and shows only 3 people in RM uniform.

Can anyone help with information regarding this photo. Demob? Reunion?
Many thanks,
Steve
[Thumb - IMG.jpg]
 Filename IMG.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description C/Sgt Bob Ghest (my grandfather) is stood 5th from left, holding his hat.
 Filesize 329 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  437 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger