commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Corp Thomas 'Tucker' Jennings MM - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi

I am Tom's Grandson and I would love to learn more about my Grandad, I know he has pictures on this site, and the info I have on my Grandad is third hand so apologies if I get any of it wrong.

. Bed & Herts - Parent Reg
. Joined 3 Commando
. Served under Peter Young
. Great friends of Osbourne and Barnes, according to my Grandma Osbourne was a lovable rouge and Barnes was a butcher so my grandad ate well. Listed in Storm of the Sea as shouting at German guns with Osbourne
. Had SAS badges (black) but did not talk about it
. Landed at Sword
. Won the George Cross and met the Queen Mum.
. Guarded the Queen Mum at some kind of show.
. Trained Indian Officers hand to hand combat after the war.

Please help, little snipets of things he did or said would mean alot.

Thanks Paul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/07/2010 10:55:51

Grandson to Thomas 'AKA Tucker' Jennings 3 Commando - 3 Troop
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just for info of others I have initially sent Paul a private message in response to this message.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Thanks Pete

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a quick update for all. I have contacted our chairman Scotty who was in 3 troop with Paul's grandfather, Tucker Jennings. Scotty was very keen to speak with Paul and asked me to pass on his contact details which I have done in a second private message

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

The citation for the Military Medal:

On 6th July 1944 an attack of troop strength was launched by No.3 Commando against enemy holding out in Le Plein.This troop came under heavy and accurate fire from a well concealed enemy strongpoint whilst advancing up the Main street as a result of which the Troop Commander was wounded and the Troop pinned down.An attempt to dislodge the enemy resulted in further casualties.Pte Jennings summed up the situation and called out that he would give covering fire.With supreme contempt for his own safety he advanced down the main street firing a bren gun from the hip.Almost immediately his water bottle was shot away by a burst of machine gun fire.Undismayed , he continued to advance firing from the hip and neutralised the enemy fire so effectively that his troop was able to bypass the enemy strongpoint and liquidate it Pte Jenning complete disregard for his own safety combined with the skill and accuracy he displayed under intensive fire from close range was largely responsible for the rapid capture of the objective. His courage from the date of landing and throughout the campaign has been in the highest of traditions of his service.(LG.01.03.45)
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Thanks Unknown Commando,

First thoughts were, jesus he was braver than me, I am going to ask Stan about this and see if he can give me a eye witness accountant.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The date of the action shown above should be June rather than July as Le Plein was in allied hands by then. In fact Paul's grandfather Tucker Jennings is mentioned in the War Diary entry for the 6th June 44 in the Pegasus Archive site shown here:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/frames.htm

The specific entry is under War Diary for No.3 Commando - 1800hrs on 6th June 44. Click on Appdx A No.2 at the end of the entry there.

Paul has contacted me to say that he has been in touch with Scotty who has been able to pass on many of his memories about Tucker and the actions they were involved in.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 14/07/2010 10:40:44

[Email]
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Just got off the phone again tonight to Stan and I will be speaking with Bud Eaton who apparently should shed some light on my grandads service during africa and how he got his Special Air Service wings.

He gave me a eye witness account of my grandads MM action (above).

Stan mentioned that what isn't mentioned they then went on to secure Le Plein by 'removing 35 germans' and taking 15 germans prisoner.

The entire story is awe inspiring.

:)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

I have created a personal album for your grandfather with the photos you sent me which I hope is to your satisfaction. I have placed some information you have provided in there along with the details of his MM. If you wish anything else included in there just let me know. His album is next to that of Stan Scott's and can be found on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/jennings/

If you wish anything added, altered, or deleted just let me know

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/07/2010 18:02:48

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul ,your grandad's abit of a legend among the commandos

SE Donnison
[MSN]
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi Steve,

If you know any good storys, feel free to share them.

:)

Thanks Pete, that amazing.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Paul Jennings contacted me today to mention that he had spotted his grandfather in the No.2 Commando panorama photo. On checking it is clearly him amongst all the other No.2's. If you check he does not have the No.2 Cdo dagger on his beret , still retaining the one he wore with No.3 Cdo. Paul has also found references to the fact that Tucker had spent time with No.6 Cdo and No.14 Cdo. Paul should be getting his service record through in a few weeks time and we'll see if that throws up any information. Check out the photo of No.2 Cdo taken in 1945. Tucker is no.75 standing between Joe Lavin and Fred Mather who were both, I believe, in the Heavy Weapons Troop of No.2 Cdo at the time, as was Bob Craig who is standing next to Fred Mather

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+cdo+panorama/1-No2__Commando_panorama+copy.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

[Email]
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi all

I have found more information out, through Tuckers wife (My Grandma) about events post D Day.

I am hoping the experience on the forum may be able to piece it together.

My Grandad served in North Africa apparently either learning to parachute or on a further parachute course in Algiers. Was due to go out to Burma but ended up not going.

Took part in a raid delivered via submarine in Sicily, the operation only lasted 24 hours and my grandma remembered how my grandad had to row a shore in a dingee and next night had to row back out to meet the submarine for a pick up. The operation might have been to blow something up or recce the beaches.

I have found this which seems to tie up with his who dares wins signia.
http://odh.trevizo.org/copps.html

Took part in a operation in Norway (perhaps Vaasgo!)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

You might want to send a pm to Rob Crane whose father was involved with the Combined Operations Pilotage Parties ( it somehow didn't sound right to say he was involved with the Copps !!) Read this earlier forum message. He may be able to give more background information to assist in your research

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1483.page

Pete

(ps. in response to your pm good news about the £30 saving)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/08/2010 09:52:53

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger