commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George Edward Sheard  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
salix
Forum Member

Hello everybody,
My grandad was my hero, no other will ever come close, but i know so little about his army life. He was active during the second world war, and i believe he was in the commandoes. My nan told me some stories, but grandad would never talk about it.
My nan passed away a few years ago, and details that were sketchy are now even worse. My nan said he was a sargeant or sargeant major in either 2 or 4 commando, although again i'me not sure. They were based in Wales, were they used to train around the mountains. He used to go on bombing raids to france, blowing up bridges and other strategic things. He was also active at Dunkirk, were he spent 23 hours in the sea, shot and awaiting rescue.

His name was George Sheard, he was originally from Barnsley, Yorkshire.

And thats it...............

any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/07/2010 19:33:28

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

A very warm welcome to the CVA, although I do not have any specific info regarding your Grandfather, others on this site hopefully will. My reply concerns the application of your GF's Army records, if you follow the attached link, you will see that I have just posted a message to another person concerning this very topic ie the actual application process.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1569.page#6356

Do you have any of your GF's documents from the war period ie Army paybook or Army release certificate, as this type of documentation can contain some very useful info. Members of the Commandos were issued with Commando Service Certificates, the above link also contains a copy of my father's certificate so you will be able to see what one of these looks like.
Do you have any photos of your GF from the war period, posting these along with your message can be a big help in jogging peoples memories, you may also have photos that contain the faces of relatives of other members of this site. If you are unsure as to how to upload photos on to the Forum, I or others on this site would be only too happy to do this on your behalf.
And finally have you checked out the gallery for No's 2 and 4 Commando, you never know, you may just get lucky and spot your GF's face in one of the photos.

Good luck Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 30/06/2010 00:22:47

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark,

Did your grandfather have another initial?
There is an 'E Sheard' listed in the No2 Commando They Also Served Roll compiled by the late Lt Bob Bishop MC (No2 Commando) and his wife Janet.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-2-commando-served

Hope that is a start on your quest for information.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
salix
Forum Member

Thats fantastic NIC.............

His middle name was Edward !

I asked my mum this morning, an she says he was known as george by everyone, but this would have been at a time before he met my nan, so it's a possible. Mum's gonna try and find his birth cert.............

Now i'me excited !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers guys,

Mark
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I have details of Pte. E. Sheard who was in 5 troop of No.2 Commando. However he is shown as 24 years old and married, with his next of kin being his wife. He is shown as being a Gardiner. They are shown as being resident in Birkinhead, Cheshire. These details are from my father's notebook. It would have been written whilst they were in Ayr in 1942 after St Nazaire. So this would conflict with what you say about this being at a time before he met your Nan.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/No+2+Commando+5+troop/page8.jpg.html

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/07/2010 13:42:46

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
salix
Forum Member

Oh No :(

Just when i thought i might be onto something................

never mind,

Keep searching :)

Mark
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

salix wrote:Oh No :(

Just when i thought i might be onto something................

never mind,

Keep searching :)

Mark

Mark,
Don't worry and don't give up hope, I'm sure something positive will turn up at some stage. One has to be very patient and keep on exploring every avenue and every snippet of information.
I would however take Andy's advice and apply for your grandfather's Service Records.
That should certainly tell you if he served in the Commandos, and, if so, which Commando he served in etc.

I am currently helping one member on the forum who's family previously thought their relative had served in the Royal Marines but ,on receipt of the relative's Service Records, discovered that he'd actually served in the Army Commandos.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger