commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for service history and photos Arthur Griffin 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
alan prime
Forum Member

I am looking to research the service history of Arthur Griffin of No3 Commando and collate any collection of photographs that may be available

Kindest Regards

Alan
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan and welcome to the CVA. In your message you do not mention the reason for your research which is always nice to know. Are you a relative of Arthur's, or perhaps a family friend, a collector of memorabilia, author, etc.

Regards

Pete
[Thumb - Ted dutch Holland and Arthur Griffin.jpg]
 Filename Ted dutch Holland and Arthur Griffin.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Ted 'Dutch' Holland and Arthur Griffin. No.3 Commando. Photo owner Ted's son John
 Filesize 79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  490 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
alan prime
Forum Member

Arthur (sadly now deceased) is my father in law.

I am researching his past for my wife

Kindest Regards

Alan
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

Thanks for that info. Had you seen the picture in our gallery that I have posted here ? There were several No.3 Commando veterans at the National Arboretum at the weekend for the CVA Summer Service. Do you have any contact with them?

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/06/2010 09:58:31

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

I would also like to bid you a very warm welcome to the CVA, I don't know if you have already applied for a copy of Arthur's Army records, but just in case you have not here is a link to the Army website where the relevant application forms can be downloaded.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/recordsmedalsbadges.htm

I and quite a few other people on this site have already done this, as you will see the process is quite straight forward and only costs £30. The amount of info that you can receive can vary quite a bit, however in my case I received quite a large amount of info in the form of copies of original documents, especially Army Form B200b, which outlined all of the units that my father served in during WWII. It also stated a couple of my father's misdemeanours and the punishments that he received, although nothing serious enough for him to be RTU'd (Returned To Unit)!
The following link will take you to a previous message that I posted on the forum that contains a copy of the afore mentioned Army Form B200b.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/837.page

Good luck, cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/06/2010 19:58:33

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

I think I can help with info on Arthur. Whilst researching info on my grandfather Harold Hughes my brother has spoken to many 3 Cdo vets including Dutch Holland who was a close friend of Arthur. I will send a PM with contact details of my brother who will be able to give further details including contact info for Dutch who I know will be delighted to hear from you.

Arthur was in MT section and is in the picture of MT outside the Downlands Hotel in the 3 Cdo gallery. He is in front of Busty Reybold who is the guy on the back row 1st on the far left. I assume this is the chap with his eyes closed but it but could be the cap in front of him, would be great if you could confirm this as Dutch says his eyes are not what they once were!

Arthur was a batman/driver for Q Party (HQ) on d-day and presumably was the driver for Capt Martin who was CO for Q party (I have other names and will dig these out). As a driver he would have known my grandfather well and Busty Reybold so have a look through my thread about Harold for some background info.

I?m on holiday next week and will be updating the photo with some other names including Arthur, Busty Reybold, Burth De-Lige and ?Tank? Thomas.
Hope this helps and I?m really pleased to see a message from a relative of an MT veteran that would have known my grandfather. If there is any other way we can help please do not hesitate to ask.

best wishes

Nick

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger