commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Paul Warren 40 Commando RM  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is an extract from the MOD release on the death of Marine Paul Warren 40 Commando RM. The full release can be seen here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/MarinePaulWarrenKilledInAfghanistan.htm

It is with regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Marine Paul Warren from Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, was killed in Afghanistan on Monday 21 June 2010. Marine Warren was injured in an explosion when Patrol Base Airport Lounge was attacked by insurgents. Despite being given immediate first aid by his comrades, Marine Warren's injuries proved to be fatal.

Marine Paul Warren was born in Preston and lived with his family in Leyland, Lancashire. He was 23 years old. He joined the Royal Marines on 22 May 2006, and on completion of recruit training was drafted to 45 Commando Royal Marines, based in Arbroath, Scotland, joining on 26 June 2007. In January 2008 he deployed with 45 Commando to northern Norway for two months of cold weather warfare training. Later that year he completed Mission Specific Training in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan on Operation HERRICK 9 in September 2008. He served with Whiskey Company, 45 Commando, in Sangin, at Forward Operating Base JACKSON and Patrol Base TANGIERS. On 19 January 2010 he was drafted to Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, in time to complete Mission Specific Training for Operation HERRICK 12. In March 2010 he once again deployed to Afghanistan, where this time he was based at Patrol Base Airport Lounge located on the edge of the Sangin Wadi. Charlie Company has been responsible for the security around Patrol Base Airport Lounge and has conducted dozens of patrols in support of the local nationals. They have completed numerous joint clearance operations with Afghan National Security Forces and have uncovered many improvised explosive devices, rendering the area safer for the local population to go about their daily business.

Marine Warren?s family paid the following tribute:
"A loving son, a brother and grandson who made us proud as a family. His cheeky smile will be missed by all who knew him."

Lieutenant Colonel Paul James, Commanding Officer, 40 Commando Group, Combined Force Sangin, said:
"Marine Paul Warren was an outstanding Marine. He was bright, articulate, loyal and very brave. He was without doubt the epitome of his profession. Having previously served in Sangin only last year, his experience was invaluable in preparing and at times reassuring the men of 9 Troop. He was a man of presence, a man who inspired others with his professional example and equanimity. Paul was sharp; he was fit, always keen to learn and was utterly selfless. He took pride in what he did and others took confidence from his approach to life. I saw in him a dedicated, reliable, talented and intelligent marine who had a promising career cut tragically short. He died in his Patrol Base in Sangin, doing the job he loved and alongside the people who will know him forever as a true friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with his parents, his two brothers, his family and his friends. Marine Paul Warren was an outstanding Marine. He was bright, articulate, loyal and very brave. He was without doubt the epitome of his profession. He was one of life?s greats and he will be sorely missed by all in 40 Commando. Marine Paul Warren was, and will always remain, a Royal Marines Commando.?

Major Ed Moorhouse, Officer Commanding Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, said:
"Marine Paul Warren was something special in Charlie Company, and that is an accolade I use sparingly in the close knit band of brothers that we are, where all excel in doing their duty in the most challenging of environments in Sangin. In singling out Marine Paul Warren, this accolade rightly describes a man who volunteered and acted as Point Man for every patrol which his Section undertook in Sangin; in my eyes these men, ?on point?, are the bravest of the brave. To Paul Warren, this was a matter of duty. Being the experienced man, who had patrolled Sangin before, he saw fit that it would be he, and only he, who would lead his Section on patrol in Sangin; in volunteering for this he knew only too well the risks that were associated. Marine Paul Warren humbled me with his modesty, his quiet accomplished professionalism and his pride; pride in being in 9 Troop, pride in being in Charlie Company and above all pride in being a Royal Marines Commando. He was an exceptional Royal Marine; dedicated, trusted, loyal and courageous. To have been his Company Commander has been the greatest of honours, I am only saddened that the pleasure in which I have had undertaking this duty has been so tragically cut short. The loss of Paul has left an indelible mark on Charlie Company and we grieve the loss of a very fine man. Our Corps is a close family and Charlie Company is a microcosm of this. We pride ourselves on our Spartan ethos; and in reconciling ourselves with our loss, Paul Warren was a Spartan and this is how we will always remember him. At this dark hour, Charlie Company remember in their prayers Clifford and Lynn, Paul?s parents, and pray that the light and confidence that he gave us, returns to their lives as time heals their tragic loss.?

Lieutenant John Lynch, Officer Commanding 9 Troop, Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, said:
"I have had the privilege of knowing and working with Paul since he joined 9 Troop earlier in the year. It didn't take long for me to realise what a professional and 'switched on? Bootneck he was. He had previously served in Afghanistan with 45 Commando and the experiences he brought to the Troop were priceless. He was a natural leader and was well respected and liked within the Troop. Paul embodied all the Commando qualities and as such was an inspirational role model to the younger marines. His example helped forge 9 Troop into a formidable force. Paul was an extremely intelligent man who could often be found reading one of the many books in the Patrol Base's library. It was during in-depth conversations that Paul's knowledge and intellect shone through. He put his all into everything that he did, whether it was cracking ?Op Massive? in the gym or working as the lead man on patrols around Sangin. He was an expert at clearing our routes of IEDs; he recently found an IED which could have caused many casualties. Without doubt he saved lives. Paul embodied all the Commando qualities and as such was an inspirational role model to the younger Marines. His potential for command was obvious to me and his Section Corporal, this made him a natural choice for Section Third-in-Command. He also stepped up to Section Second-in-Command when required, and in typical Paul fashion, was 'all over it'. I could see many great qualities in Paul and have no doubt that he would have continued to excel within the Royal Marines. 9 Troop are close-knit. The loss of such a bright character has left a void which will never be filled. Paul was a Charlie Company Spartan, a true Bootneck and a friend. Rest in Peace Paul, you will not be forgotten.?

We will remember them
[Thumb - Mne Paul Warren.jpg]
 Filename Mne Paul Warren.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Marine Paul Warren 40 Commando RM Photo from the MOD
 Filesize 254 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  422 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:23:18

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

May God be with you Paul.
Rest in Peace

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger