commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The capture of Madagascar 1942  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Theres a new book out called The Forgotten Invasion by John Grehan , dealing with the capture of Madagascar in the spring of 1942. Britian was worried the Japs would seize the Island which wouldve been disaster for our shipping routes .The Vichy French occupied Madagascar and were pretty hostile to us and the Free French even more. So in the end we had to take the island by force. 365 men of No5 Commando had to land before dawn at Red Beach and take out two batteries of guns which would threaten the main landing force No5 took the french there by surprise . One of those Commandos was my dad. There are colour photos of Red Beach as it is now with pillboxes still there .In one chapter it says that No5 Commando were heading down river by boat when the boat got stuck o n the bank The Commandos were trying to push the boat free when crocodiles attacked them and they had to throw grenades at them to keep then at bay! There was some nasty fighting on the Island. I think the French lost a 1000 men / De Gaule was outraged he hadnt been told about the invasion. He wanted his men to take it. We knew if wed told him the odds were Vichy wouldve known we were coming . He never trusted us again
I met my dad's old Captain, John Beasley in 1985 and he told me my dad saved his life from a Vichy sniper . He said he was stood looking at a map when my dad pushed him down and fired at something. A Vichy frenchman had been just about to shoot the Captain. I never knew anything about dad killing this sniper . It shows how crazy war can be .My father killing a frenchman who had been an ally months before

SE Donnison
[MSN]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Hi Stephen,

You are going to need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. This will be of some use.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=36083&geotype=London&gpn=3090&type=ArchivedIssuePage&all=&exact=%22J.%20B.%20P.%20Sadler%22&atleast=&similar=

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/11/2007 16:47:35

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cheers mate .In case I cant get to it whats it about?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Its a full list of Honours and Awards for the Madagascar operations. There may be a few commandos there. The only downside is that East Africa has been mixed in with them.

Steve.

P.S. You probably didnt know but I live only a stones throw away from you, I also helped write a book about your fathers parent regiment.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger