commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter Frederick Mclaughlin; 5 troop, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
MCLAUGHLIN232
Forum Member

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody would be able to help me, I am currently working on my family tree and have found out that my grandad was in 5 troop of 5 commando (he is in the 5 troop 5 cdo photo in the gallery) and i was wondering if anybody had any information on this commando unit? or if possible about my grandad Peter Frederick Mclaughlin who joined 5 commandos on 12 Nov 1941 from the east yorkshire regiment.

thank you

Justin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/06/2010 21:52:04

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Justin,
Welcome to the CVA.
I noted your interest in No5 Cdo. My father was also in 5 Troop No5 Cdo so I also have a special interest in that particular Commando and may have some general background info which may be of interest to you..

I will be attending the CVA Summer Service at the National Memorial Arboretum on 27 June and can ask veteran Billy Moore (5 Troop No5 Cdo) if he remembers your grandfather.
If you have any photos of your grandfather that you can email to me so I can show Billy it would help as well.
Can you identify your grandfather on the photograph in the Gallery - so that we can add his name to the caption?

Would you like to commemorate your grandfather by posting any other photos, that you may have, on the Gallery?
If so I, or any other Moderator, would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/06/2010 14:12:14

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Justin,

I see from your other posts that you originally thought your grandfather was in 42 RM Commando?
Can I assume that you are now in possession of his service records and that is why you now have more detailed info about his parent regiment and that's how you now know he joined No5 in Nov 41?
Again, should you need any help with deciphering service records, I am willing to help if need be.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/06/2010 14:12:33

Nick Collins,

[Email]
MCLAUGHLIN232
Forum Member

Hi Nick

thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay, yes i now have my grandads war records, i originally thought that he was in 42RM commando unit because my family concluded that he was in the navy due to him being awarded the george star and the george medal (apparently one is only awarded to navy personnel, although i have seen web sites that state differently), I can see my grandad on the 5 troop 5 cdo photo on the gallery he is sitting on a chair far right of the picture (there is a gent sitting on the ground infront of him), any help you can provide with deciphering his record would be very welcome, not being from a military back ground myself and only just looking to WWII history it is proving a challenge to read

Thank you and best regards

Justin
[Thumb - img008.jpg]
 Filename img008.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Peter Frederick Mclaughlin 1912-1983 (5 Troop 5 commando)
 Filesize 422 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  419 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 23/06/2010 20:48:15

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Justin,
I would be very happy to help you with the service records and, as I said, I have other general info of No5 Cdo which should be of interest to you.

As you may know from your research, and from his service records, your grandfather would almost certainly have been involved in OPERATION IRONCLAD - the invasion of MADAGASCAR, May 1942; and then would have sailed out to India and Burma in November 1943.

I will also take a print of the portrait up to show Billy Moore at the CVA Summer Service this weekend.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

the portrait of Peter McLaughlin has now been posted in the No5 Commando Album in the CVA Gallery

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Peter+Frederick+McLaughlin.jpg.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Justin Try and find out if yr grandad was at Madagascar My late dad Bob Donnison was there with No5 Commando so theres a good chance they knew each other .Have you any more pics? My dad joined No5 October 1941. You should try to get this weekend at the National Arboretum Its a commando gathering and not to be missed

SE Donnison
[MSN]
MCLAUGHLIN232
Forum Member

Hi Stephen my granddad was at Madagascar he disembarded 5th May 1942 and then embarked at diego suarez 20 Aug 1942 and then disembarked at Tamatave 18 Sept 1942 he was there until 18 Oct 1942 when he embarked bound for liverpool, so I would say there is a Very good chance that they knew each other, I would love to go to the National Arboretum however I have work this weekend, could you tell me where the gathering is?

regards

Justin
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Justin,
The CVA Summer Service is held at the National Memorial Arboretum (NMA) at Alrewas, Staffs.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/index.aspx

This year it is the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the Commandos so the gathering is to coincide with the Armed Forces Week on Saturday 26th with the Service on Sunday 27th at the CVA Memorial in the NMA.

For info, there is also an Annual Gathering of Commandos at Fort William each November to coincide with Remembrance Week. Again the Commandos parade as part of the Fort William Remembrance Service on the Sunday morning and again at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge in the afternoon.

Both are very moving ceremonies and I would recommend attendance to anyone with Commando connections - it's an ideal opportunity to meet some of the Veterans (all of whom are great characters) and many of us have come away from such meetings with previously unknown info or even previously unseen photos of our fathers/ grandfathers etc...

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/06/2010 09:57:19

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger