commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Corporal Stephen Paul Curley 40 Commando RM  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is an extract from the MOD release on the death of Corporal Curley. The full release with additional tributes can be read on this link:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/CorporalStephenPaulCurleyKilledInAfghanistan.htm

It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Corporal Stephen Paul Curley from 40 Commando Royal Marines, serving as part of Combined Force Sangin, was killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday 26 May 2010. Corporal Curley was killed in an explosion while he was conducting a ground domination foot patrol through the southern Green Zone in order to reassure local nationals and understand their concerns about living in the area. Corporal Stephen Curley was 26 years old and was born in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. Married to Kirianne, he lived in Exeter with their five-month-old son William. He joined Royal Marines Recruit Training at the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines on 31 March 2003, passing for duty on 17 March 2004. On completion of training he was drafted to Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, and subsequently deployed to Iraq on Operation TELIC 4 in 2004. 2006 saw his first deployment to Afghanistan on Op HERRICK 5, serving with Lima Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, during which he distinguished himself by saving a fellow Marine's life. Further training with 42 Commando on exercise in northern Norway provided him with experience of operating in a mountain and cold weather environment. Established as an experienced and professional Marine, he was selected for Command Training, passing his Junior Command Course and being promoted to Corporal in March 2009. A keen runner and climber with a taste for cold weather warfare, Corporal Curley chose to volunteer for the arduous nine-month Mountain Leaders Course, becoming a qualified Mountain Leader (Class 2) in April 2009. Rejoining Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, in September 2009, he undertook the Advanced Urban Combat Instructor's Course, a role he relished within 7 Troop. In March 2010 he deployed once again to Afghanistan on Op HERRICK 12, serving in Sangin as part of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Jackson Operations Company. On the late afternoon of Wednesday 26 May 2010, Charlie Company was conducting a foot patrol in and around the southern Green Zone to reassure the local nationals and understand their concerns. At 1831hrs local time in the Sangin area an explosion occurred and as a result Corporal Curley was killed in action.

His wife, Kirianne, said:
"It is impossible for me to express what my husband meant to me; daddy to our 18-week-old son, William, and my partner in crime, Stevie was my purpose, what makes me tick. A man of few but powerful words when it mattered, he lived by the motto 'If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room'. This will be forever imprinted on our hearts. Stevie was a perfectionist - he prided himself on being the best and the best he was. His professionalism was highly regarded by all who knew him but it was his quirky, un-PC one-liners that really caused a stir. Steve loved to make people laugh and laugh with them. Stevie was a quietly proud man, proud to be a Royal, proud to be my husband and proud to be a daddy. Steve stood firmly for what he believed in; a man who lived by his convictions and fought vehemently for what he thought was right. Steve loved his family, and would be so proud of his mother and brother. We will carry your heart with us always. Engraved in my wedding ring the words 'Kirianne, my one, my love, my wife'. Stephen, sleep well my love."

Corporal Curley's mother Andrea and brother Sean said:
"Ste was extremely proud of his northern roots. As a child his favourite place to visit along with older brother Sean was the cafe gift shop in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. Another was the unheated, outdoor swimming pool in Otley which he would take great joy in jumping into; the water was always freezing cold - perhaps this was early training for the Marines!
His best friend Andrew Birmingham, who he met at the age of three and went through St Joseph's Junior and St John Fisher High School with, is currently flying back to the UK from Australia. Ste leaves so many friends in the area with whom he remained in contact after leaving home and all are deeply saddened. When Ste was in sixth form he worked at the local McDonald's so we always said it was McDonald's to the Marines for him. We were all immensely proud of him when he joined the Royal Marines and know just how much being a Marine meant to him. He always looked up to his older brother Sean and it meant so much to them both when at one period they served together in Afghanistan. Quite simply, without Stephen, Sean and I are lost.
"

Lieutenant Colonel Paul James, Commanding Officer, 40 Commando Group, Combined Force Sangin, said:
"Corporal Stephen Curley was the very best of his generation; bright, fit, charismatic and supremely brave, he was a man who genuinely inspired others. Based with me in FOB Jackson, I saw in him a selfless, loyal, utterly dedicated and natural leader of men. He died on patrol in Sangin leading the men he loved, and alongside the men who loved him. His sharp wit knew few limits, particularly in the gymnasium where he reigned supreme, with both the RSM [Regimental Sergeant Major] and I regularly in the firing line. As a Marine he was professionally unrivalled - a Mountain Leader, a consummate tactician and a brilliant Section Commander who cared passionately for his men. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Kirianne and new-born son William, his family and his friends. He will be desperately missed by everyone in 40 Commando. Corporal Stephen Curley was, and always will be, a Royal Marine Commando."

Major Ed Moorhouse, Officer Commanding Charlie Company, 40 Commando Royal Marines, said:
"Corporal Steve Curley is irreplaceable as a man, a leader and a Royal Marines Corporal. He was the most consummate of all-round professionals and a man who I can proudly say that I have had the immense privilege to have commanded and worked alongside. Fiercely proud of being a Royal Marine and a Mountain Leader, he was a natural leader of Marines and had galvanised a group of young men in 7 Troop into an exceptionally strong and dynamic section who he was proud to call his own. At the heart of this single-minded professionalism was his energy and enthusiasm for everything, complemented by an utter vitality for life and the challenges that it brought. Nothing was ever too onerous for him and the more austere and challenging the task, the more he would revel in undertaking it; this infectious enthusiasm drove everything that he did, and all ranks in Charlie Company were energised by it. A man with the driest sense of humour and a wry Yorkshire wit, nobody in Charlie Company was safe from a Steve Curley one-liner no matter what rank or status you carried; the Sergeant Major and I speak from personal experience. Charlie Company Group mourns the passing of an exceptional young man who has touched us all during his tragically short life; a man who personified everything in the Charlie Company 'Spartan' ethos. I have no doubt that he would have risen to the highest echelons of the Royal Marines and I would have taken great pleasure and pride in championing this assent.
Our prayers and thoughts are with his wife Kirianne and his new-born son William; I am only saddened that this young man, unlike me, will never know just what a formidable and unique leader of men his father was

We will remember them
[Thumb - CplStephenCurley.jpg]
 Filename CplStephenCurley.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Corporal Stephen Curley 40 Commando Royal Marines
 Filesize 236 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  957 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:00:06

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My thoughts and prayers are with all of Cpl Curley's family, especially his wife & young son, and to all of his friends and colleagues.

Rest in Peace.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/06/2010 14:35:14

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger