commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
PTE James Rodway 58227559  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Kiwi Ric
Forum Member

Hello blokes, I was hoping someone might have some information on this chap,

I have been told he was in a Commando unit, but I'm unsure just what unit, or if the RMC,

His parent unit was Suffolk reg, and he was a qualified M.gunner

He spent 7 Years in the pre war reg forces, and 5 in reserve

I would very much love to find what unit he was part of war time :)

many thanks to anyone that can help me

Kind regards

-Ric
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ric,

I haven't any specific info on Pte Rodway as yet but a basic bit of info which will narrow the avenue of research...

I think you can rule out the RM Cdos as you say his rank was Pte (Private) - after 1923 the lowest rank in the Royal Marines was changed from Private to Marine.
Also, generally, the RM service number was prefixed by a series of letters which indicated which division the recruit had joined (e.g. PO/X 103275, PLY/ 21134).

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Kiwi Ric
Forum Member

Thanks very much for the reply,

The service number I gave, was his interwar service number, could it have changed when he changed service,

the bloke was after the war a prv driver for a English Jeweler, and he passed on the items etc to this bloke and also said he was a commando "That would explain the second pattern FS blade ;) "

I will put what other information I have about this bloke here ;)

DOB 5.9.04
Place of birth: WolouHampton? sorry I'm not that great at reading cursive

enlisted 2-10-22 Suffolk reg
went to A res 13.12.27

I hope this might have been some help ;)
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ric,

My best guess for the place of birth would be either:

Woolhampton in Berkshire

Wolverhampton in Staffordshire

Rodway's dob would make him 34 at the start of WWII. I'm not sure of the conditions of an A Class reservist but, had he been still in the reserve at the outbreak of WWII he would have retained his original service number.

If, as was the case, his service in the reserve had expired...

Kiwi Ric wrote:He spent 7 Years in the pre war reg forces, and 5 in reserve

... then he would have had to 'join up' again (presumably he would have rejoined The Suffolk Regiment) and MAY have been given a new service number...

The Commandos were formed from volunteers in 1940.
Commandos were only 'on loan' from their parent Regiments/Corps and could at any time be RTU'd (Returned to Unit) and so if Rodway had volunteered for the Commandos he would have retained his Army number

nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/06/2010 12:41:14

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Kiwi Ric
Forum Member

Nic, Your a star mate,

Wolverhampton! that's correct, Well here hoping he did keep his service number, I'm just hoping someone finds that his name just jumps out to them, as I'm not local "I live in New Zealand" its so bloody hard for me to find any info, I had a good hunt in all the Roll's that were on the site, but to no avail :(

but thanks again mate!
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ric,

Look, I can't promise I can find out anything about James Rodway but, if you promise to let Wales win at least one of the two games against the All Blacks this month, then I will certainly see what I can do... )

Do you have any other info on Pte Rodway? Any info, no matter how insignificant it may seem, may be the key to the 'treasure chest'...

I'm guessing you're not a relative? But you do have some intimate info [DoB and dates of enlistment etc]. How have you come by this? You mention, in your second message, the 2nd issue FS fighting knife - any info with that?
Even here say can be useful, and you may uncover useful info that can be posted on this website in the chance that a relative of James Rodway happens upon it.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Kiwi Ric
Forum Member

Morning Nic,

And ol Whales are a sharp Rugby team! getting very good every year!

Now Mr James Rodway's items,

I in fact have his paybook non war time, and afew certs in regards to some of the training he had done, and also his FS blade, Im more than happy to take photos for your sharp eyes to run over the items, and see if there is any give away details ;)

And again, thanks for the help mate, even if we cant find out anything Im still glad to have a hand ;)

-Ric
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ric

Aside from Rugby (being a Scot we rarely mention the word these days) I have checked and found that there is no James Rodway shown on the records of the former Commando Association which stood down in 2005. Whilst this does not mean he was not in the Commandos it does take away a simple way of going about things. I know that the Suffolk Regt. in the 1920's had 7 digit service numbers commencing with a 5...but I am no expert on service numbers so you will have to follow that one up. The best place for you to try is applying for his service details under the Freedom of Information Act. Send an email with all the information you have asking for any records they have on him up from the 1920's until the end of WW2 to be released to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to this address [email protected]
They will then forward it on to the relevant department. This is slightly different to the normal method of applying for service records and is recommended due to his service in the 1920's.

Good luck in your search

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/06/2010 11:39:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kiwi Ric
Forum Member

Pete,

Thanks a bunch mate! Bloody fantastic, I'm going to shoot off an email and hope I can get some little bits of info or the whole history,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help a new member, I'm stoked with the support I have had on the forum!

If I get any details, I will be sure to post good photos of the items and information

Again thanks ever so much guys

Very Kind regards and many thanks

-Ric
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
A bit of a long shot but a good friend of mine is a Rodaway.

http://tonyrod.webs.com/ is his web site.

Regards
[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger