commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on pvt. Garfield Grieve, 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
vgrieve
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anybody know anything? all i know is he was KIA 5th October 1943, i would be greatful if anybody has any info to share.
thanks

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA.

I'm not sure if you already have it but here, for a start, is the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) Record for Garfield Grieve, No3 Cdo.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2378011

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there

You do not say your first name, or relationship to Garfield Grieve, so forgive me for not addressing you by your name. I do not know how much detail you already have but the date of his death would involve him in the No.3 Commando landings and subsequent action at Termoli in Italy. That action is described in the books Commando - Memoirs of a Fighting Commando by Brigadier John Durnford-Slater, and also in Peter Young's book Storm from the Sea. In the latter there is a sketched map of No.3 Commando's position at 5pm on the 5th October. In Durnford - Slater's book there is a Roll of Honour at the end, and Trooper Garfield Grieve is listed there along with Captain Lincoln Leese, Lance Segeant William Cunningham, Corporal William Floyd, and Troopers Charles Lea and Albert Williams. They all died on the 5th October 1943 at Termoli. Trooper James Catterall died on the 10th October. In No.3 Commando soldiers holding the rank of Private were known as Troopers.

If you have a picture of Garfield Grieve I would ask you to grant us permission to place a copy in our No.3 Commando In Remembrance album. Please contact me either by private message, email or on here as I can assist you in doing this.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/06/2010 21:56:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
vgrieve
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hey thanks you guys for your prompt replies, i'll get a copy of those books, i'm sure they'll make good reading.
I'll see if any of the family have any photos, although i've never seen one myself. is there anyone around here that would have served with them?
anyway thanks again guys! keep up the good work

vgrieve
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Apologies, i didn't introduce myself,
you can call me Vincent, pleased to meet you, and Garfield was my great uncle.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Vincent,
Please see this thread regarding your Great Uncle.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/0/3694.page#13012

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger