commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William (Bill) Ledger  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Peter Ledger
Forum Member

Looking for any information/record of my father. From an old record book it was stamped 2 Corp Commando. He joined in 1940 and was discharged in 1943 due to injuries.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Peter

A very warm welcome to the CVA, although I do not have any specific info regarding your father, hopefully some else on this site will be able to help you. If you have any photos of your father from the war / Commandos then posting these in conjunction with a message can help to jog memories. If you are unsure on how to do this then I or others on this site would be only too glad to post them on your behalf. It would also be of great assistance if you could scan the record book that you mentioned and upload this with your message as it may contain other references or info that may be of significance.
As you may or may not already know, you can apply for a copy of your father's Army records, it is quite a straight forward procedure and only costs £30. I and quite a few other's on this site have already done this and received some very interesting copies of original documents, the following link will take you to a section of the Forum that contains the relevant Army conatct details. If you are intersted in making your own application, and experience any difficulties in accessing the required application docs form the attached Army website, then please let me know and I will do my best to be of assistance.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

The following link will take you to a message that I posted on the Forum showing a copy of one of my father's original documents ie Army Form B200b. One thing that I would say concerning applying for Army records is that there is no guarantee on exactly what you will receive, I was very lucky in that the above mentioned form was very informative. Other people have recieved less detailed info, so it is a bit of a gamble, but at £30 it is in my opinion well worth it.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/608.page

Good Luck Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/06/2010 00:23:59

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Peter Ledger
Forum Member

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your reply. The book I mentioned was a pay book and was sadly lost when my mother moved but we all rember it being stamped with 2 corp Commando.

My sister applied to Glasgow giving them two numbers, a 5 series and a 2 series, the latter being on the back of a photo from when he was called up. She was originally informed this his records had been sent to the MOD, at their request. After some months we have finally received a copy of his service (5 series number) from when he was called up and this is with the Devonshire Regt. No mention was made of 2 series number. The same has happened with all other enquiries she has made.

We have heard that some service will not be released for a number of years (do not know if this is correct) and are now tryind to trace the admissdion lists from the military hospital from where he was admitted and later discharged due to his injuries.

If anyone can help pn where to look we would be most grateful

Peter

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger