commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Gt Uncle - Richard Harding No.3 Commando 2 troop  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
lorraine salter
Forum Member

Wondering if there is anybody on here who knew my great uncle or has any photos of him with his fellow commando's. I have lots of photos of him on his own.

His name was Richard Harding. He was with No 3 Commando 2 Troop.

Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/05/2010 19:48:00

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Lorraine has registered and posted this message after emailing the CVA in the hope that someone may have knowledge of her great uncle, or have some information or photos relating to him. Below is part of her original email which I think would be best to attach here :

My Great Uncle was with No 3 Commando - Lance Corporal Richard Harding 7888531 Royal Armoured Corps. You have his name on the Remembrance page. Ive been brought up knowing all about my Gt Uncle Richard and have photos of him (one on our living room wall). I have told my daughters all about him too! I think its important for the youngsters of today to be told how brave they were etc. He was one of the Commandos that landed on Yellow Beach-Dieppe Raid (Bernaval) and was killed along with others.
We visited the Dieppe Canadian War Cemetary in the 90s and found 2 memorials to No 3 Commando at Bernaval. I was thrilled to bits with the one they have in the village with Uncle Richards name on! I will be going back there at the end of August. Im also lucky to have the last postcard he sent to my Grandad (his brother) from Seaford just before he left for Dieppe dated 7th August 1942. Its hard to believe he was killed just a couple of weeks later.

Lorraine is hopeful of getting a photo of her great uncle to us for inclusion our No.3 Commando In Remembrance album

In Memory of Lance Corporal 7888531 RICHARD HARDING
Royal Armoured Corps and No. 3, Commando
who died age 22 on 19 August 1942
Remembered with honour at DIEPPE CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY, HAUTOT-SUR-MER

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 09/05/2013 12:02:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Lorraine has now sent in a photo of her great uncle which has been placed in the No.3 Commando In Remembrance album on this page:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/
[Thumb - Lance Corporal Richard Harding.jpg]
 Filename Lance Corporal Richard Harding.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1091 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  426 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello LORRAINE.

This is great to see your Gt. Uncle on photo.
I attend the ceremonies in BERNEVAL each year.
I sent to you a private e-mail, hope you could answer me.

sincerely

stéphane

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger