commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
"O" Company RN Commandos  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Ross Ba
Forum Member

Hey this is a long shot but does anyone know of any survivors from Oboe company RN Commandos. He also served in K and M if that helps anyone. Trying to track down anyone that may have known my grandfather particularly a chap called Micky Fisher. My Grand father is Alaxander Bartlett but known as Sandy. Trying to see if we can put him intouch with any of his war time buddies.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/05/2010 17:29:26

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
I don't know which RN Cdo he was in but Jimmy Jardine is a member of the Merseyside Branch of the CVA - he may be able to help.

Contact Geoff Murray, CVA National Secretary, for contact details.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Ross has sent in a few pictures of his grandfather Alexander 'Sandy' Bartlett and other RN Commandos. They can be seen on this link to the RN Commando gallery:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/rn+cdos/

My thanks to Sandy and Ross for the pictures

More can be read on this link to the the Combined Operations site about the RN Commandos

http://www.combinedops.com/RN%20Commando.htm

and the losses that Sandy's group and others suffered on Elba during Operation Brassard can be read here:

http://www.combinedops.com/Elba%20-%20Op%20Brassard.htm

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 17/08/2011 01:21:12

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mallonj67
Forum Member

Dear Sir,

perhaps you or some other kind individual can assist us:

My uncle Patrick Fitzpatrick was a RN Commando. He was Glasgow born and his DOB was 20/05/24. He was in North Africa, Anzio and also like your family member, deployed at the invasion of Elba - Operation Brassard in either Able 1 or Oboe 3 Commando as far as we know. We do know he identified a Lt. Palmer and many of his fellows who were killed during that action. He identified Lt. Palmer a native of South Africa by the ring on his finger. He was always reluctant to discuss in detail any of the events.

Immediately after the operation he was returned to Scotland under great secrecy. It sounds like he was one of a very few to come through the, 'bloody little side show'. Soon after he moved to Australia only later to return to London where he died in the early 1980s.

Would you or any of your contacts have any information, knowledge, or other links or detail to assist us. Anything you would greatly assist us and allow us to build up a detailed picture of his active duty for our mother, his sister in her last days.

We thank you in advance.

Best wishes John Mallon.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

Whilst I have no direct knowledge relating to your uncle, we have a previous forum posting that may be of some interest on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1279.page

Have you applied for a copy of his Service Record, or visited the National Archives at Kew in search of official documents about Brassard?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

My Dad, William Henry Smallman, was in Oboe Group.

After the landing on Elba he was sent to Fox Group,

I was going to write that's all I have but the brain kicked in.

Attached is a list from Ken Oakley and he said that the mens names that are circled came from Oboe.

My Dad Crossed the Bar some twenty years ago, Ken Oakley has gone and I do not know about the others.

Regards

[Thumb - W1.jpg]
 Filename W1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Welfare Fund
 Filesize 617 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  964 time(s)

[WWW]
pfox
Forum Member

My Dad was David Fox in the list and I can confirm he was in Oboe. Unfortunately he died two years ago, and talked little of such times.
pfox
Forum Member

This a picture with David Fox in the middle I have no idea where it is.
[Thumb - out95c.png]
 Filename out95c.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 990 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  780 time(s)

pfox
Forum Member

This is another photo I have of David Fox. I do not know where it is or who the other person is.
[Thumb - out87b.png]
 Filename out87b.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 912 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  869 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA

Thanks for posting the photos of your father, David Fox, which I have now posted into our RN Commando gallery here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/rn+cdos/

Can you please let me know your full name so as I can add a credit to the photos.

Regards

Pete

[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

Permission to copy one of your photographs.

One of the men could, just maybe Billy Rodaway and I would like to send it to his Nephew for a positive ID.

Regards
[WWW]
pfox
Forum Member

Rick

yes you can send them to anyone you wish. It would be nice to know who they are and where the pictures were taken if possible.

Pete
pfox
Forum Member

I worked out where the picture of my Dad (David Fox) with one other was taken. It is in the centre of Bombay, India.

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger