commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Knife and associated items belonging to Dennis Harry Slaughter No2 Commando.  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
Here is another superb group of Commando items belonging to Dennis Harry Slaughter who was a veteran of No2 Commando and the REME. The group now belongs to Roy Shadbolt who has very kindly given permission to allow the following photos to be uploaded on to this site.
Roy is currently experiencing some tec hitches in uploading higher resolution images, however I am hoping that this will be able to be resolved quite soon.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - B12-Dennis Harry Slaughter-REME and No2 Cmd-Roy Shadbolt..jpg]
 Filename B12-Dennis Harry Slaughter-REME and No2 Cmd-Roy Shadbolt..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  501 time(s)

[Thumb - B13-Dennis Harry Slaughter-REME & No2  Cmd-Roy Shadbolt..jpg]
 Filename B13-Dennis Harry Slaughter-REME & No2 Cmd-Roy Shadbolt..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description This photo shows Dennis's rare OR's hand made No2 cap badge.
 Filesize 25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  491 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/05/2010 18:54:22

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

Another excellent collection and I must add my thanks to Roy for allowing us to display the items in his collection. Sgt D.H.Slaughter, service number 1054779, came from Sompting, nr. Worthing in Sussex. I do have a record that he was in No.2 Cdo 1943 onwards but whether he joined before I do not know.

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 18/05/2010 20:12:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Thanks for that, I will ask Roy if he has any additional info regarding Dennis' Commando Service, one thing that has just occurred to me, do you think that the fact that he had a first pattern F/S knife issued, suggests that he might have been with No2 from the very begining when this unit was formed ie from the Ind Cmps? Just a thought as I know he may have traded this with someone else or obtained it in any number of alternative ways.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Difficult to say really. I will send an email off to Eric to see if he knows him and ask about the knife issue for No.2

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There is a bit of a mystery regarding this 1st pattern F/S knife belonging to Dennis Slaughter that the current owner has not yet been able to solve, the email that I recieved from Roy is reproduced below:

"On the reverse of the scabbard there are some identification stamps that don't relate to Dennis Slaughter. Following on from your comment that this knife may not have been an original issued item to him, I have always felt these markings may indeed refer to the original owner/s. I know it's a very long shot but just on the off chance you or some one has information that could shed some light that would be amazing and solve a mystery.
On the back of the frog is stamped a name and 'two' service numbers, none of these relate to D. Slaughter:

D. Hall

6461392 (parent Regiment The Royal Fusiliers)
5932424 (parent regiment The Cambridgeshire Regiment)

I am not sure if either of these service numbers relate to D. Hall but it would seem logical, also I'm assuming that Hall was in No.2 but of course I could be wrong. As you can appreciate I would be thrilled to find out who D. Hall was and what unit he was in.

Any and all help greatly appreciated"

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
BritCommandoDaughter
Forum Member

The items you are showing here are those of my Dad (Armourer Sergeant Dennis Harry Slaughter) I'm his one and only child and have to say I'm absolutely overwhelmed that you have his belongings and photos. Never expected to find this while googling his name. My Dad passed away in May 2003 and I would very much like to get in contact with whomever has these items.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

May I extend a very warm welcome to the CVA and I am so pleased that you have discovered these items on our site.
I will contact the ownner of your father's Commando items, Roy Shadbolt, to see if it would be ok for me to provide you with his email address so that you can contact him directly, if I remember correctly Roy is an expat now living in the USA.
Do you have any other photos or documents of your father's from his time with the Commandos that you would like uploading in to our gallery, if so then either myself or others on this site would be only too pleased to upload them on your behalf. If you havn't done so already you can actually apply for a copy of your father's service records, quite a few of us on this site have done so already and have received copies of some very interesting original service documents. The process is quite straight forward and only costs £30, the timescales for receiving service records can vary from a few months to almost a year, but it is well worth the wait!!.
The attached link will take you to the section of the CVA forum that contains the web contact address for the dept that deals with the application of service records.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/09/2012 22:30:33

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger