commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Stanley Stevens RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This message was sent to the CVA by Martin Pope. If anyone has any knowledge of Stanley, or the story, please update this message and contact Martin direct on [email protected]

Hi,
I`ve just come across your website and I thought that you may be interested to see pictures of some items that were given to me by Royal Marine Commando 1058622 Stanley Stevens. Stan told me that in the film "Cockleshell Heroes", the marine that had the slops thrown over the side of the ship onto him, was based on his character and actually happened on a different raid that he took part in, but elements of both raids were used in the making of the film. I`ve always taken this as gospel, but would you have any information on this? Stan passed away quite a few years ago now, but was always a very quiet, unassuming gentleman.
Many Thanks,
Martin Pope.

I have responded to Martin initially and he tells me that his service number has PLY/X in front of it. Sadly Martin has no picture of Stanley. Stanley did tell Martin this about the little saw in one of the pictures :
The small hacksaw blade in the piece of plastic was for concealement in the shoe. Stan said that they were told that if they were imprisoned anywhere they would be able to escape by using this blade. Well, Stan said that if he had been locked up during the war, he would still be there sawing now!!!!

[Thumb - stanley stevens 3.jpg]
 Filename stanley stevens 3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  456 time(s)

[Thumb - stanley stevens 2.jpg]
 Filename stanley stevens 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  468 time(s)

[Thumb - stanley stevens 1.jpg]
 Filename stanley stevens 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  446 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 17/05/2010 23:49:27

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger