commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Niall Thomson, No3 Cdo & Achnacarry instructor.  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
bobsson
Forum Member

My late father Bob Shaw was a close friend of Niall Thompson, whose two daughters are named May & June. I have May's address and phone number if you do not by now have it.

Niall was the Manager of a smoked herring factory near Aberdeen when I was a child - I remember us being taken round it. Once on holiday in Scotland my Dad phoned ahead to tell Niall that we would be visiting him via the Devil's Elbow near Braemar. Niall told him that Dad would never get our caravan up it but Dad ignored him.

We got stuck halfway up the Devil's Elbow with the car wheels skidding on the ice, the caravan in danger of pulling the car backwards down the hill. There were no mobile phones then so we were in a bit of a hole when Niall, in kilt, arrived with his Land Rover, a rope and a big grin.

Father was George Robert (Bob) Shaw from Nos 1 & 4 Commando. Uncle was Charles Herbert (Bill) Shaw from No 1 Commando.
[WWW]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you for your message!

I knew that Niall went into the fishing industry after the war, but not where. Bill Harvey told me that Niall had two daugthers, one of which is May. I didn't know that the other daughter is called June.

Bill met Alex Ferguson, the former owner of the Spean Bridge Hotel, last week and Mr. Ferguson managed to get the address and phonenumber of May. I gave her a call this evening and had a conversation. I will send her the photos I have of Niall in a letter and she will respond to that. One of the things she said about Niall was: we still miss him!

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger