commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 11 Commando - Uniform Insignia , Newfoundland soldiers in WW2 Brit Commando units.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

One of the chaps in the image of 4 from 11 Commando is Mark Jennings, 328361 3rd Cavalry Training Regt. and served in 2 Troop, Keyes Cavaliers. He left the Commando on 20/10/41 for HQ XXX Corps.
I have seen a picture with names of some of 2 Troop from a newspaper cutting and there is a Dowie, another Smith and possibly another Warburton, but he may be Kenneth of the Seaforths but i do not know.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Might be of some interest.
 Filename The origins of Operation.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 378 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  323 time(s)

viking_raid
Forum Member

Alan, what would they have worn for epaulettes? also was there a lanyard for commando ? if so what colour? I?m putting together a display and have an original 1939 dated 11th Scottish commando Tam and and an early war tropical/desert shirt. I want to have the correct epaulettes and/or lanyard. Advice?
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The epaulettes came with the shirt, the one in your picture is nothing like what he would have worn. There was no specific lanyard for Commandos. As I said previously correct uniforms for the period can be seen ob the Soldier of fortune website, www.softmilitary.co.uk

Alan.
viking_raid
Forum Member

Alan,

Thank you so much. I would love the papers on Kearney and the other Newfoundland Commandos of its not too much trouble for you. I can certainly paypal you for this service.

Also, although not a commando, I am also interested in another 59th (Newfoundland) Heavy Royal Artillery Regiment chap that just before D-day was assigned to 6th Airborne. His name was John Finn he was a forward artillery spotter that went into Normandy on D-day in a Horrsa glider, took a jeep to a town nearby and started calling in artillery on German positions. Here are a couple of articles, one is a brief interview with John himself.

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1994/6/6/tales-of-war

http://www.ssnerissa.com/default.asp?q=stories_14newfoundlanders

I?m wondering, would his shoulder titles have stayed as the Royal Artillery on his 6th Airborne Uniform?

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I sent an email.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger