commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine T Wallace  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Terry Wallace
Forum Member

RELEASE PAPER 31 MAR 1946.
 Filename RELEASE PAPEE.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  192 time(s)

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Terry.

It is so important that we get the history and who they were for the future generations.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Terry

The testimonial is signed by someone who was in 46RM Commando in November 1945. Is this the basis for your thinking he was in 46RM Commando or is there more ? This was dated a few months before Mne Wallace was discharged and at a time that all the Army Commando units and six of the RM Commando units were facing disbandment. That, in addition to the demobilisation of military personnel generally that was taking place, meant that very often commando personnel were moved units. As I said in my previous message Kamperland at the time does not fit in with 46RM Commando but does with 47RM Commando. Plus there were other Commando trained personnel there such as Commando Brigade personnel, Commando Signallers, etc. I have found some of the surnames you posted are identical to surnames in 47RM Commando. However to try and get certainty I recommend you apply for a copy of his service record as otherwise you will never be certain, unless someone posts specific information relevant to your Father. It can be a few months before a reply but it really is a must do to see what is on there.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Terry

Thanks for that Pete.

When I have been over in the Netherlands my contact with 47 RMC was [email protected] I would give her a shout to see if they can help you.

Most important as Pete says go for the service record.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Terry Wallace
Forum Member

Pete/Bill

Great stuff. I was basing my 46RM on the signed testimonial and I take note of Pete's comments and will investigate further the 47 RM section of the website. I have posted off my application for service records and await their reply.
Bill, I will contact Ingrid and see if she can add anything to my search.

In a past life I was an academic researcher and thought the research process was part of 'my' history. Needless to say this is now bringing back memories for me. I am thoroughly enjoying my set]lf. I bet the 'old man' never thought he would leave this legacy.

BTW - i have heard there is a book retelling RM experiences during WW11 and that my dad got a bit of mention. Any help here would also be appreciated

BW

Terry
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Terry

47RM Commando had their own Association in addition to the all encompassing Commando Association. Relatives and friends of 47 have continued that and they have a good website. On there under 'S' Troop you will see a Mne. T. Wallace. Interestingly also under the same Troop you will see a TSM W.G. Titmuss. This name cropped up today whilst I was looking at an entry dated for awards announced in September 1945 in the 46RM Commando War Diary. You will see potential similarities with what we have previously discussed here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/WilliamTitmuss_RMCommando

You may wish to contact them via the link below to see if they have anymore. Keep us updated especially when the Service Record arrives and I will then update our Archive accordingly from everything discovered.

https://47commando.org.uk/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/09/2020 13:32:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I forgot to mention the most important thing ! There is a photo of 'S' Troop on their website and Mne. Wallace is identified top row 2nd from left.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger