commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Salsette  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

[email protected] wrote:

I notice that each LCA had a crew of 4 to 7 men, so I am guessing ABS Terence Gormley was one of those and Commando records may reveal further details of a raid in Burma in April 1943.

Hi, 3 Commando Brigade (3 SS Brigade), consisting of No.1 Cdo, No.5 Cdo. 42 RM Cdo & 44 RM Cdo, set sail for India in November 1943. The ship carrying No.5 & 44 RM Cdo arrived in December '43 whilst the ship carrying No.1 Cdo & 42 RM Cdo were delayed and didn't reach India until January '44.

Therefore, no Commando unit per se was involved in a raid in Burma in April '43; however, you may want to research Force Viper (Lt Col G R Musgrove RM/Lt Col G R Musgrave RM) and Burma II Commando/Burma Commando II (Major Mike Calvert) and even MNBDO I.
Any of these may have been involved in commando type raids...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
simonresearch
Forum Member

My research suggests HMS Salsette was the Naval component for No 1Combined Training Centre (CTC) India, and that the CTC was divided between Marve on Madl Island Bombay and Lake Khadakwasla. Both CTC sites were under the command of the Army when established in late 1942. The former under Brigadier Reynolds and the latter Colonel Pikin. The first CO of HMS Salsette was Captain C Naylor in August 1942 and he certainly, and possibly all his intial 46 Naval Officers took part in Operation Ironclad (Invasion of Madagascar). In late 1942 Lieutenant Commander R D Franks was to take 40 landing craft from HMS Salsette to Chittagong to take part in the much reduced operations during the First Arakan Campaign in Burma. In this respect it is most likely that Terence Gormley was killed during Franks last raid down the Mayu River in Mar/April 1943. Both LCS(M) 17 and 16 were lost during this action, the latter on 25th April, the same date as Terence's death together with 2 other ratings. Franks had to abandon his LC's and his long walk back to India together with 20 sailors is well documented. With regards to HMS Salsette this was always a Royal Navy Base separate from the Royal Indian Navy and was operational from August 1942 until the end of hostilities. 285 Naval Officers were listed as serving there during the war including COPP 7 and the RN Beach Commando team A. However it may well be that some were listed purely for admin/payroll purposes. For example while Geoffrey Hall leader of COPP 7 was listed at HMS Salsette he does not mention this in his personal recollections of actions in India/Burma. Regarding George Wild unfortunately I cannot shed any further light.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger