commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Copra  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Here is my fathers service record. Hope someone can tell me where he served, which commando unit and if it is consistent with what I heard growing up. Thanks to all in advance.
[Thumb - 50C012AB-60D1-4896-993E-56671BEDBA08.jpeg]
 Filename 50C012AB-60D1-4896-993E-56671BEDBA08.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 385 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  320 time(s)

[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Here?s the 2nd page
[Thumb - 75EAF444-02D1-4EF0-A24D-C3F04AB19181.jpeg]
 Filename 75EAF444-02D1-4EF0-A24D-C3F04AB19181.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 368 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  282 time(s)

[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Last page.
[Thumb - 29F31DD8-4F28-49AC-973B-E0D76272117E.jpeg]
 Filename 29F31DD8-4F28-49AC-973B-E0D76272117E.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 320 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  313 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi (sorry I do not know your first name)

To answer the simplest question first you queried Royal Navy in respect of the Royal Marines. Well the Royal Navy encompassed the Royal Marines and the the Royal Marine Commandos of WW2. So there is nothing unusual there.

Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Royal Marine Commandos in WW2. From what you have posted so far the record itself is still unclear as to his Unit within the Royal Marines. Copra and Quebec definitely show he was part of what was known as Combined Operations which encompassed amongst others both Royal Marine Commandos and Royal Marines (not Commando trained) who served on Landing Craft, etc. This lack of specifics is quite common in Royal Marines service records and frustrating to both families and ourselves as researchers. So often we have to look for more.

Are you able to repost a copy of what I think was part 2 of the service record but include the right hand side of the page as the officers names on your original post are cut off.

Also you may wish if you have not done so already to contact the number shown on this link to check your Father?s victualling records. This may have already been done but if you are unsure give them a ring.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Finally if you have anymore photos of your Father either in service, or post war at reunions wearing his beret, please post them. The badge as it sits on the beret can give an indication.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/12/2019 22:55:15

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Thanks Pete. I will see if I can get a better copy of the service record names. Unfortunately I have no more photos at this time. My father emigrated to the US after the war and left behind most pictures and momentous. I believe he did attend one reunion in the 1980s sometime and met his old officer and mates but I can?t recall any names. I will make an application for his victuals records. Thanks for the link. Brian Cherry
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Brian

Just to add that a lot what you wrote resonates with actions so it gives you avenues of further research. Major Jimmy Dunning, an Army Commando, wrote several books about the Commandos.

In December, No. 9 (Army) Commando was in action on the lower reaches of the Garigliano, then these operations were followed by the Anzio landing involving both No. 9 and 43 RM Commandos. Initially they encountered light opposition, but a few days later it was a different story when their objective was the enemy positions on Mount Ornito and although they succeeded, No. 9, in particular, suffered heavy casualties.

Meanwhile to the east of mainland Italy No. 2 (Army) Commando, under the command of Lieut. Colonel ?Mad Jack? Churchill, was operating in the Adriatic, off the Dalmatian coast, where Churchill had established his HQ on the island of Vis. There his force was strengthened with the addition of not only 43 RM Commando, but also a number of Yugo-Slav partisans.

From Vis, Churchill carried out a series of raids on nearby islands, occupied by the Germans, with notable successful raids on Solta and Hvar but these successes received a serious set-back when a full scale assault on the island of Brac by No. 2 and 43 RM Commands, supported by the Heavy Weapons Troop of 40 RM Commando, resulted in substantial losses that included Lieut. Colonel ?Pops? Manners (40 RM) killed and the capture of Colonel Jack Churchill ? who awaiting the German counter-attack played his bagpipes in defiance!

Later Nos. 2 and 43 Commandos were operational in, and from, Albania, whilst No. 9 was in action in Greece for nearly five months in operations that extended from Athens (where the Commando took part in the liberation parade and Colonel Todd received the Freedom of the City) to Salonika in the north, whilst No. 43 fought in Yugoslavia from Dubrovnik.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our gallery for 43 RM Commando

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/43+RM+Commando/

Our gallery for 40RM Commando

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/40+RM+Cdo/

[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Thanks Pete. I know my father saw significant action and had nightmares about losing his friends in battle. He always told me he was a RM Commando so I have nothing to doubt that. I remember him telling me a story of training in the highlands of Scotland where he and his buddies were dropped off in the far north and told to make it back to base on their own in three days without being spotted - and if you were spotted you were kicked out of the unit. Not sure if that was standard practice in 1942. Brian
[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Will check the pictures. Thanks again.
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Brian

Please understand I am not saying he was not. Some people are fortunate that records show this nice and clearly, others need more extensive research.

Pete

[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Pete - not a problem. Looked at the pictures and haven't come up with anything definitive. Thanks for your help. Will gather the necessary documents for sending to the Ministry of Defense. Brian Cherry
[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Pete - Number 9 Commando, 4 Troop picture. Second row from bottom, far right. Looks a lot like my dad but I can't be sure. Did they serve in the same area ? Brian
[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

This is the best picture I could get from my sister. Still cuts off some of the names. Sorry. Brian.
[Thumb - 4FE08B93-0A8F-4C39-94EA-4057151D824B.jpeg]
 Filename 4FE08B93-0A8F-4C39-94EA-4057151D824B.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 373 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  304 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger