commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sergeant John Thomas Lund R.M. Po.X. 1315 - 48 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Cat,

May I recommend the book 'D-Day Commando, from Normandy to The Maas with 48 RM Commando' by Ken Ford, to you...
Sadly, there is no mention of your gf in the book but it will give you a great insight into his experiences.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/01/2019 22:15:03

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ha ha, stop cross posting!

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cat,

Yes it's a huge shame that you and your father never got to know him - I totally understand and sympathise as my dad, who was in No.5 Commando in Burma, survived the jungle and a Japanese ambush in which he was WIA, only to succumb to TB when I was a year old.
Hence my passion about the finding out about the Commandos and helping other, like you, in their quest.

There is a lot on the internet now - I have to say that when I found the CVA it was in its infancy having superseded the Commando Association ( which Stood Down in 2005) but I was delighted to think I'd joined an association that knew the answers to my questions! How wrong was I?
I found that all the members were in the same boat as me - we were all looking for information about our fathers, grandfather, uncles & cousins...
Nobody had any answers and there was nothing on the internet!
I started researching and learning and learning and researching, was then approached by another couple of people who I was able to share my 'knowledge' with, and slowly, between us, we built up our knowledge through hard work and dedicated research.
As you already have found out it is addictive - you can't let it go! But it's oh so rewarding - especially if you can use help others...

This website was the brain child set up by John Mewett, and his son Dan. John is the Website Manager and Dan is the Web Master. Archive work and the day to day running of the Website & Forum is carried out by Pete, an ex-Policeman, and me, ex-RAF...
That's the team! John, Pete & I are all sons of commandos and all amateurs - until 31 Dec 2018 I was in full time work, but have now joined John & Pete in the grand state of retirement.
But we are incredibly lucky to have some great people that have contributed hugely to the research - most came to the Website for help looking for info on their commando relatives, but then got hooked and have contributed greatly to this hugely informative source of information.
What you find on the internet these day has probably originated here.
We are proud to say that we have been acknowledged in a number of books as their source of information, have been approached by a number of TV and Film Directors/Producers for information, we have been approached by Museums asking advice on Commando artifacts etc.

Yes Cat, you are getting it right - and it's great to see someone who is carrying out their own research - and enjoying it!

So, now you are hooked, while you're waiting to get the service records back, may I suggest a day at the National Archives at Kew - reading the 48 RM Cdo official War Diaries... Original documents!
You'd love it!

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/01/2019 23:00:09

Nick Collins,

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have the official history of 48 and sent a file to Pete Rogers for the research for the CVA.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
fastestcat
Forum Member

We're currently explaining the family tree to my Dad and updating him on the info about his Dad. Happily he's agreed to apply for his service records so we should soon know more. Although JT Lund left my Dad's family, my Dad did know his brother Harry, and clearly both boys were career military. It looks like Harry was also in the Marines as we think we may have found him with the service number PO X 3143!!!
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Cat,

Well done and thanks for keeping us updated.
Of course there's no reason that you can't apply for Harry's service record either! Your Dad is close enough NoK and as long as you know Harry's date of birth...
Happy researching

Nick :D

Nick Collins,

[Email]
fastestcat
Forum Member

UPDATE:

Finally got the service records back.... very excited to find a big stamp on his clothing and equipment record that says Holding Operational Commando "X" TROOP 5 Oct 1945. So I think that means he must be in the photo of X Troop elsewhere on this forum....?

Movingly, where CAPS are listed he has written BERET next to it :)

Cat
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Cat,
That's great news...
Hope the records contain some interesting stuff - although RM Records tend not to be as informative as Army Records...

An RM Commando was organised along War Establishment lines conforming to those Commandos already raised by the Army.
This consisted of Cdo HQ, Signal Section, Admin Section, five fighting troops [A, B, X, Y and Z] - named after the big gun turrets on capital ships - plus a Heavy Weapons Troop [S Troop].
The nominal strength of a fighting troop was three officers and sixty five other ranks.
Each troop contained two sections, each further divided into two sub-sections. The Heavy Weapons Troop had two officers and forty other ranks, armed with two Vickers machine-guns and two 3-inch mortars.
These weapons were doubled in number after the D-Day landings.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/07/2019 18:17:39

Nick Collins,

[Email]
fastestcat
Forum Member

We've been through John Thomas Lund's service record and amended some of his information on our Ancestry profile. I thought I would post an updated copy below, I hope you find it of interest.

John Thomas Lund was born on 9 December 1915 in Mexborough, Yorkshire, when his father, George, was 23 and his mother, Maud, was 20. He had scarlet fever as a child.
John joined the Royal Marines on 22 August 1933, just shy of his 18th birthday. He enlisted in Manchester, but the attestation papers show him having worked as a haulage hand at Denaby Main Colliery.

He married Doreen Agnes O'Connor in Liverpool in 1938 and they had two children. We have a record for Doreen, who was pregnant with her first son, living in Laburnum Cottage, Soberton, Portsmouth, in the 1939 register. John's service record lists his wife's address as 3 Flowett Street, Mexborough, with the numbers 5/43 next to it, presumably meaning May 1943.
John served with MNBDO (Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation) II from 1933 to the outbreak of hostilities, becoming Corporal by 1939. He continued with MNBDO II until the formation of 48 RM Commando in 1944. His medal record shows that he served in Africa, France & Germany and Palestine.

In February 1941 he was posted to 2nd CA Brigade, MNBDO II, followed by a promotion to Acting Temporary Sergeant and then Temporary Sergeant in April that year. He was finally made Sergeant on 25 October 1943. His record shows that he moved to 7th Battalion from 2CA Regiment, Dorset Battery and then on 14 February 1944 his service record shows "end 7th Battalion", his rank - acting temporary colour sergeant - and secondment - to 48 RM Commando.

The 48 RM Commando was formed on Thursday 2 March 1944 at Deal from the 7th Royal Marine Battalion and were disbanded at Beeding, near Horsham, on 31 January 1946.
On 14 March 1944 John was transferred to CBTC - Commando Basic Training Centre, and returned on 3 April 1944. We know that 48 RM Commando trained at Achnacarry between 13 March and 3 April 1944.

John's service record shows "Disembarked NW Europe" on 6 June 1944. 48 RM Commando took part in the D-Day landings, assisting the Canadian forces on Juno Beach. They captured the strongpoint at Langrune sur Mer where they remained on security duties after suffering 50 per cent casualties. On 20 August the unit attacked German field batteries at Clermont-en-Auge and secured high ground overlooking Dozule. On 25 August they outflanked enemy positions near Beuzeville, which were mortaring 46 RM Cdo, and on the next night infiltrated behind this town to St Maclou with 41 RM Cdo; and went on to advance across the Seine to Valmont against no opposition.

The London Gazette has a record of Sergeant (Acting Temporary Quartermaster Sergeant) John Thomas Lund, R.M., Po.X. 1315 (Mexborough), 48 Royal Marine Commando, mentioned in despatches. John's record shows he is twice mentioned in despatches, at least once for his part in supporting 21 Army Group (21 AG). The action he was commended for would probably have been during the latter part of Operation Infatuate, an operation to capture Welcheren island, which commenced on 1 November 1944. 48 Commando trained for this operation in October, and it was of the greatest importance to the operations of the Allied Armies in Flanders as it cleared the entrance to the river Scheldt allowing access to the port of Antwerp.

John was sent to 21 AG on temporary attachment on 5 November 1944 and embarked NW Europe on 6 November, returning from 21AG on 12 November, which is also when 48 Commando were withdrawn.

The troops taking part in the successful seaborne attack at Walcheren were the 4th Special Service Brigade consisting of Numbers 41, 47, and 48 RM Commandos, and Number 4 Army Commando. 48 Commando successfully assaulted W13 battery about 1600 hours on 1st November; on D+1 (2nd November) they captured strongpoint W287 at first light (0630 hours), with A Troop entering Zouteland at 1100 hours and clearing dunes while other units gave support fire. 48 Commando then moved north to support 41 RM Cdo on D+4 (5th November) before being withdrawn on 12th November. After rest at Haan, they moved to Goes (South Beveland) training reinforcements; three Troops, X, Y, and Z under command of 47 RM Cdo were the only infantry in the Oosterhout area at the end of December.

During March 1945 they mounted five raids against Schowen and Overflakkee, suffering casualties on mines. On 25th March the unit were in defensive positions on the River Maas at s'Hertogenbosch, a road and rail centre 6,000 yds from German positions with active enemy artillery and patrols.

In April the unit was on a quieter front as reserve to Belgians and Dutch near Kapelsches Veer; they raided in dories into the Biesbosch, among marshes and waterlogged islands; 23rd April saw the last operation by this Commando to rescue a patrol in the Biesbosch without casualties before ceasing fire, except for defence.

From 1st May to 31st August 1945 they were based at Minden (Germany) as defence force for the HQ of Allied Naval Commander Expeditionary Force (ANCXF); From September to 21st October they were at Waltrop and nearby controlling displaced persons (DPs).

In John's records there is a clothing and equipment record stamped Holding Operational Command, X Troop, 5 October 1945.

From October to November 1945 the Commando were on occupational duties at Kreis Buren looking after two camps of DPs, with patrols based on five burgomasters offices; these patrols stopped black market rackets, rapes and armed robberies, and Marine officers organised camp improvements before returning to UK on 29th November.

In 1950 John's address was Shorn Head Gatehouse, Lower Shorne, near Gravesend.
John married Violet Louisa Rayner in 1950 in Chatham, Kent. He died in February 1992 in Chatham, Kent, at the age of 76.

Supplementary information:

Medals: John's medal record card lists:

The 1939 to 1945 Star
Awarded to personnel who completed operational service overseas between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945 (2 Sept 1945 in Far East).

Africa Star
Awarded to personnel who served in North Africa, Malta or Egypt between 10 June 1940 and 12 May 1943.

France and Germany Star
The France and Germany Star is awarded for operational service in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands or Germany between 6 June 1944 and 8 May 1945

Defence Medal
Awarded for non-operational service such as those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. The medal is also awarded for non-operational service overseas for example in India or South Africa

War Medal 1939 to 1945 Palestine Clasp
The War Medal is awarded to all full time personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving. The medal was granted in addition to campaign stars and the Defence Medal. John is shown as having the Palestine Clasp.

Formation of 48 Commando: 48 Commando was the last one to be formed and was created from the 7th RM Battalion and the Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation Battalions.

Royal Marines Registered Numbers: In 1925 the Letter X was added to prefixes to indicate men enlisted or re-entered under the revised rates of pay (entries on and after 5th October 1925). A new sequence of numbers beginning at 1 was started in each register for ranks who re-entered after a break in service of less than five years before 2nd November 1925.

In 1941 Registered Numbers were Six Digit Numbers during WW2. The prefixes CH/X, PLY/X, PO/X followed by numbers of six digits in the 100000 series, indicated ranks entered for Hostilities Only (HO) Service during World War ll, (CH/X119200; PO/X127790; PLY/X117156).

Various sources, including:

John Thomas Lund service record
http://www.royal-marines.net/1925-1949.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Infatuate https://ancstry.me/2sAzTo0

www.commandoveterans.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Special_Service_Brigade
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wow Cat,
That's fantastic!
Well done for all your research and for putting together a very comprehensive record for your paternal grandfather - it can't have been easy as you had so little to go on in the first place as he and your grandmother became estranged so long ago.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
fastestcat
Forum Member

Thanks Nick!
Still more to do I am sure but great to have confirmed all this :)
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cat,
I knew, from the start, you'd get hooked... :D

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cat and Nick and others

What a team.

Reading through all your wonderful work is great.

Dad was in No 4 Army Commando which landed in Flushing he was kia 1/11/44.

Keep up your good work.

Best wishes.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/07/2019 22:32:26

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger