commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information regarding my father Marine Gordon Richard Wilson POX 100817  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Nick,
Last one.
Brian
[Thumb - IMG_1187.jpg]
 Filename IMG_1187.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 265 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  308 time(s)

Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Hi guys,
Not too sure if my updates to dad?s record got through
Brian
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Brian Wilson wrote:Hi guys,
Not too sure if my updates to dad?s record got through
Brian

Hi Brian, yes, the pages of your father's service record did upload okay. And, as you correctly pointed out, there was the mention of Achnacarry and RM Commandos... :D
I will have a closer look at the records in a day or so as I'm working on a number of other records at the moment.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/2018 14:26:00

[Email]
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Thanks Nick.
Brian
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Hi Nick,
Are you having any joy with Dad?s war record? In your experience do you think it is worth contacting the Achnacarry museum to establish what records they have ?
Once again many thanks for your time
Brian
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Brian,

Sorry, I haven't looked at your father's record in detail yet as I've been a bit busy. Hopefully I'll get on to it this week.

No point in trying Achnacarry as no records are held there whatsoever.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Hi Nic,
Have you had any joy with Dad?s record? I appreciate you will be busy this time of the year. Is there anything I can do to assist?
Brian
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Brian

Nick will get round to it. He does this work as a volunteer so bear with him and I know he is very busy most of the time.

Many of us are involved in a various jobs for the CVA and we have to fit it into normal life.

I like Nick am a son of a WW2 Commando.

Best wishes when you get his expert reply.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/12/2018 10:26:33

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your patience. I have looked at your father's records but am going over them again trying to look for any clues.
I am sorry that this is taking me so long but I really don't have very much to go on.

As Bill kindly says, I am quite busy at the moment - I'm planning to retire at the end of the year and am bogged down with red tape at the moment, I've been moving my mother (who lives 300 miles away from me) and also moving one of my sons (who live 40 minutes away) life is hectic in the extreme - but none of this is an acceptable excuse. So once again, please accept my apologies , I will get back to you just as soon as I can...

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/12/2018 21:18:19

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Hi Nic,
Really no need to apologise , I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help.
All the best for your retirement.
Brian
Brian Wilson
Forum Member

Hi guys,
Have you had any joy looking at Dad?s record.
Brian
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have replied to Brian by PM and explained that, temporarily, I have been forced to put a large portion of my research on hold - but if anyone else can help him I would be massively obliged.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Brian.

I have had a look at your dads service records and they are not the best recorded which isn?t uncommon from examples I have read including my own grandfathers service papers.

I have deciphered them as best as I could. So here goes.

Service no POX 100817. Portsmouth division number.

9/7/1940 - RMRD - Royal Marines reserve depot which is now Lympstone Devon/ CTCRM. In between these dates it looks like he was in a search light regiment.

Between these dates it looks like he was in the Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation 1 (MNBDO)

9/7/43- RM46 which possibly means he could have been in the formation of 46 for a short while then moved, that?s a guess at the moment.

2/6/44 HQ Wing Ports Division

HQ Wing Holding company Dalditch- now known as Woodberry common where today?s marines train and was known as Dalditch camp.

Then transferred to the Commando Basic Training Centre or Achnacarry.

Then looks like back to Ports division where he would have been demobbed to civvy street.

Most of the units listed are researchable in the RM museum website and have interesting reads. Do you have all the documents of your dads it appears that they are not all here and some of his movements are recorded on conduct sheets. If you do have them drop me a line or post on here and I will look further.

Hope this helps, have you looked at the gallery photos, it does help, I found my relative in their and so have others.

Regards.

[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Brian

Just to add to what Craig has said in his post your Father's record does show an attachment at some point to the Commando Basic Training Centre at Achnacarry. On another sheet it shows an entry with RM46. I have often found it useful to view the Officers who signed off specific entries. The entry marked RM46 is signed off by two Officers. I have tracked one of them down as Lieut. Ronald Samuel Ivor MULDOWNEY, RM. We have two records in our Archive where this Officer is named:

Acting Captain RM Holding Commando October 1944.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/RMHoldingCommandoOfficers_Oct1944

and also in our 46 RM Commando Nominal Roll. The source for this nominal roll entry is the January 1945 edition of the Navy Lists which can be accessed via the National Library of Scotland website. Unfortunately only Officers are listed. From another entry in their archives I have found his first and middle names.

I have checked and confirmed that when the application for your Father's service record was made that a check had been done of his victualling records. In your Father's case I can confirm that this additional check was done in the application process.

So where does that leave you in your search for more information. Well unfortunately the record is not clear. We know he went to Achnacarry, we know that an entry shows 46RM, it is significant that it does not show the word Commando, or abbreviation Cdo. anywhere. This could be because he was there for his Commando training but there is nothing to show he completed the course and was attached to 46RM Commando. So not an ideal situation for you I regret to say. In cases like this, and there are many, additional evidence often comes from other members of the extended family of the serviceman concerned, or other sources found be they photos, documents etc.

Has a full check of all your Father's extended family been made to see if anyone has any other information?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete.

What/ how would you check victualling records.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger