commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Achnacarry question and Sgt. Bill White 2 Cdo.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As we have been discussing Sgt. Bill Chalky White, we have a photo provided by Gary sometime ago with some comments from Eric Buckmaster who also served in No.2 Commando.

View in the gallery here Sgt. White.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/08/2018 15:32:58

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Guy and Pete
Many thanks for that. I'll dig out his MiD for you plus some info on how he received it from the Essex Regiment archives.
It may interest you and others to know that whilst trawling through old rugby team photos at my club there was one of Col Newham in his rugby attire. I managed to get a nice photo of him from the Essex Regiment museum and had it framed along with his St Nazaire VC citation and a miniature VC. It's always a much discussed photo when other teams visit.
I also read an interesting article about Col Newham that post war he took an interest in an Army cadet unit in Writtle in Essex and often visited them. He was also a keen boxer, as well as a rugby player,in his younger days.
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Some more items on Bill 'Chalky' White
 Filename Clibborn-1.doc [Disk] Download
 Description Doc setting out how Bill White got his MiD in Norway
 Filesize 25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  365 time(s)

[Thumb - Bil White armd car.jpeg]
 Filename Bil White armd car.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Bill sitting at rear of armoured car. I presume 2 Cdo still as scrubbed gaiters!
 Filesize 215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  351 time(s)

[Thumb - bill 5 1.jpeg]
 Filename bill 5 1.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Italy?? Bill has lost a lot of weight and is using a walking stick. Possibly after he was wounded in '43?
 Filesize 383 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  343 time(s)

Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Bill White
[Thumb - 2 cdo gc.jpg]
 Filename 2 cdo gc.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Bill
 Filesize 141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  362 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2018 13:06:23

Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Bill White

**From admin*** This photo was already in the gallery here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/bill+white+2+cdo+c.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2018 13:09:00

Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Bill White
[Thumb - 2 cdo on parade GC.jpg]
 Filename 2 cdo on parade GC.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Parade
 Filesize 494 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  318 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2018 13:10:12

Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick
As you can see I have added some items of interest on here re Bill White. Previously he was not recorded as being on the St Nazaire raid. Is this still the case?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gary

3 of your photos did not display so I have reuploaded them. In fact one we already had in the gallery so I have replaced it with the link to it.

Here are a few thoughts of mine:

1. The photo of the men on the Armoured Corps shows one in a forage cap, one without headgear and 2 in berets. However the badge, certainly of one of them, is not the No 2 Cdo. one.
2. The photo of the Parade is No 2 Commando at Wellington Square, Ayr, when they were billeted in the town. Their HQ was in the Square. We have another slightly different version of this photo in the gallery here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/scan0142a.jpg.html
3. The photo with Bill and others at the table I think might have been as you say after he was wounded. Eric Buckmaster 2 Cdo told me that Bill White recovered from his wounds but then came down with Malaria and he was left behind to recover. It would be interesting to see if he got back to them at any later stage.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now found the London Gazettes entry for the MiD for 6010917 Sgt. W.L. White for Norway

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35020/supplement/7202

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/08/2018 13:47:16

[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick
I'll try and upload the actual MiD as well but I did have problems before however I'll try again. On the photo in Wellington Sq...Bill told me that was when they first got the green beret.
Many thanks for your help. I'll see what else I can dig out and get back to you.
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Hi Nick...I have tried to attche the MiD in jpeg and pdf but it keeps coming back saying 'entity to large'!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gary

If you email me the picture I will upload it

Pete

[Email]
Gary Cootes
Forum Member

Many thanks. I'll get it sorted at the end of the week👍 Being a bit thick here...where is your e mail address? Sorry!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If you look at the bottom of the message that you just posted you will see profile and pm.....

At the bottom of any of my messages you will see profile, pm, and email. Click on email.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Gallery and Archive now updated

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/BillWhite2Cdo/

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger