commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Robert Sheldon WW2 Commando need help with info  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Thanks Nick that's interesting. I'm waiting for my dad to sign the records forms at min but he is in italy. It would make sense I think that my grandfather would be in that troop as Lord lovatt used to use him as a runner. My grandfather was very fit and a fast runner. Anyway there is the possibility it is not him so I'll try and not get excited.
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Front Page of John Robert Sheldon Service and Casualty form
[Thumb - JRS FP SMALL.jpg]
 Filename JRS FP SMALL.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 333 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  231 time(s)

Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Back page
[Thumb - JRS BP SMALL.jpg]
 Filename JRS BP SMALL.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 312 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  258 time(s)

Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Hi there above I have posted my Grandfathers service records.

It has been interesting looking at these.

I now know

Service number - 2064169

My grandfather started his service in the Royal Engineers then the Royal Artillery and then the Commando's.

The back page of the records shows That he was Posted to No'6 Commando as my father thought but now at least we are sure.

I was also interested to see how many times he was in and out of hospital which was quite a few.

If anyone can shed any light on the description section at the bottom of the back page feel free it will be appreciated. (I am mainly interested in the part about the commando's)

In the letter my father received it said we could contact the MOD Medal Office. This will be of interest as apparently my grandfather was not really interested in his medals and we think did not receive them or apply for them somehow? Is this possible? Also it said we can use a researcher at the imperial war museum.

What we would like to do is track Commando No.6 through to the end of the war. In the next post I have a few stories.

Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Here are the stories my dad has relayed to me:

My Grandfather said pre D Day he was on a ship below deck for 2 days possibly 3 by the look of his records waiting to ship to Normandy.

When exiting the landing craft on D Day his friend (S.J.BISELL) was injured (shot we think) and my grandfather put him back on the landing craft before heading up the beach. I think this was done quickly as he said he was first on the beach. Also he mentioned that there was a war photographer/ journalist on the Landing craft with them who was shot immediately when the front of the boat was opened. This may explain why I have found it hard to find a photograph with my grandfather on it.

He was a runner for Lord Lovatt relaying orders we think.

He was at the Pegasus bridge (not much info is known about this) I think around this time he was in a farm yard and there was a story about having to attack a tank.

He distinctly remembers a lot the commando's telling Bill Millin the piper that he should take cover. Everyone thought he was crazy.

My father remembers his father talking later on in the war having to guard prisoners of war. Some being involved in the concentration camps etc. He also had to guard houses of important people to stop them being looted.

Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

I think what I would like out of doing this research is to find a picture of my grandfather with his pals in the commando's. Hopefully I will.

I am holidaying in France in a few weeks and will be stopping off at Sword Beach and the Pegasus bridge.

Any help from anyone on the picture front will be amazing

Many Thanks
Andrew Sheldon
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing part of your grandfather's records with us - I have now added his name to the No.6 Cdo Nominal Roll...

http://www.commandoveterans.org/6CommandoNomRollP-Z

The background to No.6 Commando's involvement in the War can be found here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/6Commando
With links to some of their official War Diaries etc.

I will now upload the photo of your grandfather to the No.6 Cdo Album in our unique Website Gallery - if there are anymore we'd be happy to look at them with a view to upload them too...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/08/2018 23:27:32

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andrew, the photo of your grandfather has now been uploaded to the No.6 Cdo Album...

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/?g2_page=2

If the MoD has suggested that your family contact the Medal Office, that would indicate that there are medals there that your grandfather was entitled to but never claimed. As this would be the first time your grandfather's medals will have been issued, there will be no cost...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Thank you for your response Nic. I am very pleased that his photo and name is now added to Commando no.6.

I will be contacting the medal office this week.

Thanks
Andrew
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andrerw,

I will have a look at his Service Records for you but I can already see that he admitted to an EMS (Emergency Medical Service) hospital in Sept '44 - although I haven't been to establish which one yet.
During the War, certain civilian hospitals were designated EMS - these were dotted around the country.
Maybe you know why your grandfather was admitted?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Hi Nic we are unsure why he was in hospital. This coincides with No.6 being on leave I think from what I read briefly this morning.

My Grandfather had no visible scars or serious injuries we know of. I wonder whether it was a kind of check up or he may have been dehydrated or something similar.
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Nic do you know anything about S.J.BISELL. You called him Stan and sonny in an earlier post. I was just wondering.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Andrew,

I don't think your grandfather was wounded when he entered EMS - I think it's possible he may have had some serious illness...

As for Stanley Bissell - please see this link:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/BissellCommando

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

Do we know if Bissell was at D day?

Andrew Sheldon
Forum Member

We are not aware of any illness until his death in the early 80's

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger