commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Chariot at St Nazaire 28th March 1942  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Remembering all the Fallen and all who suffered life changing injuries 81 years ago.

The Commando Fallen https://www.commandoveterans.org/Operation_Chariot_ROH

The Commando Charioteers https://www.commandoveterans.org/operation_chariot

The Naval Charioteers http://www.operation-chariot.org/personnel-1.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
MBrockway
Forum Member

Another year passes - still we remember them.

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
MBrockway
Forum Member

81 years ago this morning ...

The bows of HMS Campbeltown lodged in the outer caisson of the Normandie Dry Dock seen from near the top of the stairs on the inside the dock.

[Thumb - 01a Campbeltown from inside Ecluse.jpg]
 Filename 01a Campbeltown from inside Ecluse.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Campbeltown from inside Ecluse (Bundesarchiv)
 Filesize 90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  90 time(s)

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
MBrockway
Forum Member

HMS Campbeltown from the river, still intact, and a close-up with a German sailor *possibly* carrying her folded ensign under his arm. The ladders used by the Campbeltown parties are well seen here too ...
[Thumb - 01c Campbeltown foredeck - German possibly carrying her ensign.jpg]
 Filename 01c Campbeltown foredeck - German possibly carrying her ensign.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description (Bundesarchiv)
 Filesize 159 Kbytes

[Thumb - 01b Campbeltown from river.jpg]
 Filename 01b Campbeltown from river.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 158 Kbytes

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/03/2023 14:15:21

MBrockway
Forum Member

Around 11:30hrs, the charges in Campbeltown's bow blew. The results ...
[Thumb - 01d Campbeltown after exploding.jpg]
 Filename 01d Campbeltown after exploding.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 386 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  96 time(s)

MBrockway
Forum Member

Some of the commando wounded, including Tom McCormack, Stuart Chant, Tiger Watson, Gerard Brett, Dick Bradley and Arthur Ashcroft, loaded onto a lorry and about to leave for La Baule. The Bridge of Memories (Bridge 'D') is visible over the cab in the background.

Newman and Ryder leading the parade of Charioteers across the Bridge of Memories in 1947 at the unveiling of the memorial.
[Thumb - 03a Newman & Ryder lead 1947 Parade over Bridge of Memories.jpg]
 Filename 03a Newman & Ryder lead 1947 Parade over Bridge of Memories.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 230 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  97 time(s)

[Thumb - 02 Wounded loaded near Ost 6.jpg]
 Filename 02 Wounded loaded near Ost 6.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  87 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 28/03/2023 14:35:51

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Remembering all the Fallen and all who suffered life changing injuries 82 years ago this week.

The Commando Fallen https://www.commandoveterans.org/Operation_Chariot_ROH

The Commando Charioteers https://www.commandoveterans.org/operation_chariot

The Naval Charioteers http://www.operation-chariot.org/personnel-1.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
MBrockway
Forum Member

Another year passed.

Not forgotten.

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger