commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dissertation research Combined Operations, Army & RM Commandos / 30 Cdo / COPPs  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I should add that it it Neustadt in Holstein.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

Thanks for clarifying Neudstadt in Holstein..

I believe this may be the modern day site of that photo which is Market Place Neustadt in Holstein. The Volksbank has obviously been rebuilt but the Karl Will building looks very similar from the first floor and roof.

Regards Vic
[Thumb - Neudstatdt Market place.jpg]
 Filename Neudstatdt Market place.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 318 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  283 time(s)

Jim Wright
Forum Member

Vic,

Thanks for the reply, I'm just going through the process of applying for his records so hopefully I can find out where and with which unit he served. I didn't know he was with them either. Thanks for taking the time to search through and find it.

I went down to the IWM last Monday and found a radio log book of the radio operator attached to 30 AU. It details a lot of information about collected intelligence and was very useful so I've started to get somewhere now.

Jim
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim,

No worries, glad to be of some assistance.

Regarding the photo, I suspect there is a mixture of Signals and other Commandos in that particular shot. The Signals cap badge adapted for the Commandos is quite distinctive and I can see a lot of the men have that but there appears to be various other cap badges being worn. From what I understand No 6 was in that area and were probably supported by No 1 Commando Brigade Signal Troop so I'm guessing that's what we have in that photo but cannot be certain.

From a Signals perspective it can get a bit confusing as the men were often aligned to different Commandos both Army and Royal Marine. My Father started in No 2 Special Service Brigade Signals supporting No 2 Commando in Italy then appeared to be transferred to No 1 Commando Brigade Signal troop supporting both No 6 and 45RM at some point post D-Day.

As Nick mentioned, getting the service records is the best way to ID the movements, sometimes you're lucky with the information that comes back as I have seen some records with a lot of specific detail although the records for my Dad were not detailed and just a high level which is a bit frustrating and has led me to search deeper. I wouldn't give up though, after being a member of this site for years and reviewing most of the content a bunch of photos turned up that had my Dad in them and it was worth the wait.

Regards Vic

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger