commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Flushing 2014  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Latest about Flushing

Hello Bill,
I made contact with the hotel Piccard, Badhuisstraat in Vlissingen.The
will give all veterans and family and friends a special price fot their
stay in November 2014.
If you just say that you come for the commemorations, than its
allright.
The exact programme is not ready yet, but it will take place in the
weekend of 1,2 and 3 November 2014.
Many greetings,
Hans

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

New facebook page on the Liberation of Walcheren https://www.facebook.com/liberationofwalcheren?fref=ts

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If you look at the FB page above you will see the that the Memorial to the No 4 Army Commando and the loyal Dutch is in place in the new memorial area.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Latest update Flushing November 2014. Dear Friends

This is the latest update-

Saturday 1 November ,around 13:00, official opening of the new memorial ground. unveiling of the text "Uncle Beach memorial ground" on the brick wall by the Mill. The time depends on the arrival of the WW2 vehicles. They go to Domburg first, then Westkapelle, Zoutelande and then Vlissingen an last Middelburg. After this we can do a "ww2 walk" through Vlissingen guided by Ruben and Jochem.

Sunday 2 November , around 15:00, concert in Sint Jakobskerk in Vlissingen.

Monday 3 November , 11:00 remembrance and wreath laying at the new site by the Commando monument, Unveiling of the new Free French stone next to the monument. After this visit some places off interest.

Please note there are other times at other places in Zeeland which may clash with the Flushing so please make sure you have these in your diary.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My Dutch contacts have managed to find the No 4 Commando Flag in the museum. This was given to the Flushing people by No 4 Commando in 1946. There was a statue too which they are still investigating for me. The statue of Winston Churchill presented to the people of Flushing by Pat Churchill who served with No 4 is in the Stadhuise. It was designed by his wife.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The statue in the museum was a standing Commando. I know the Dutch preferred the running one which represented the Commandos so much better.

Bill
[Thumb - 01.JPG]
 Filename 01.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 831 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  665 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yesterday the Omroep Zeeland broadcasting corporation 'launched' a special commemorative website "De Slag om de Schelde" (the battle for the Scheldt): http://www.deslagomdeschelde.nl/ It is in Dutch. They ask people to send in stories, photos, etc. The website works by date. You can "follow" the battle from day to day as it took place from 1 Sept. '44 onwards.
Slag om de Schelde
www.deslagomdeschelde.nl
70 jaar na dato

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If anyone is going to Flushing can they PM me with their email and I will give details.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/09/2014 17:43:51

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We will remember them as we make the trip to the Netherlands for the 70th. Fus J Ball 3/6/45 Bergen op Zoom (BoZ); Lieut N W Barras 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte H Donkin 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte D Gillon 20/1/45 Wissenkerke; Gnr W Y Harvey 1/11/44 BoZ; Gnr E A Hill 1/11/44 Panel 2 Groesbeek; L/Cpl O C Hooper 2/11/44 BoZ; Pte P Laux 2/11/44 BoZ; Cpl J Maybury 18/1/45 Kamperland; Pte J Stoddart 1/11/44 BoZ; L/Sgt A J Walker 1/11/44 BoZ; Pte P A Wells 28/4/45 Schoonselhof Belgium. We also will remember all who fell in No 4 French, British, Luxemburg and the loyal Dutch who were killed during the war. Bill

Bill Harvey
John1951
Forum Member

Bill

I'm going over to pay respects at the grave of my Uncle Ted (Cpl Edward Evans - 47 Commando) in BOZ. He was killed during the landing at Westkapelle on 2 Nov 1944.

I fly into Schipol from London City on 31 Oct then overnight in Middelburg before spending 1 Nov in Westkapelle. Then I go back to BOZ and on 2 Nov will visit the cemetary on behalf of the Evans family past and present.

If it all works out I'll be in Flushing late afternoon on 2 Nov and am staying there for two nights at the Hotel Bed by the Sea on Spuistraat.

Regards, John.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

25th Anniversary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4soc8x0qDdo&list=PLD8cHfpWsa7tDwG2JdeWyQE0i6JxLLnDl&index=2

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Friends

Flushing arrangements finished just waiting on a few to contact me.

Will be offline from 27 October till 5 November.

We will remember them all. The memorial in Flushing was to all of No 4 killed in action during WW2 and the Loyal Dutch.

Remember us for travel and for the Commemoration of the Fighting Fourth.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello to all

Find enclosed few photos taken in FLUSHING between the 1st and 3rd november 2014. Cermonies for
the 70th anniversary of the landing in WALCHEREN ( Netherland )

Pat CHURCHILL 4 Cdo, and René ROSSEY ( Free French Commandos ) were there.

But too, several children of French and British commandos. SIDE BY SIDE

It was a wonderful time there. The meeting, and dinner with the children and Pat CHURCHILL was great.

Best wishes

stéphane
[Thumb - 3 novembre 2014 Bergem-op-zoom Cimetière.jpg]
 Filename 3 novembre 2014 Bergem-op-zoom Cimetière.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  677 time(s)

[Thumb - 2 novembre 2014 Flessingue.jpg]
 Filename 2 novembre 2014 Flessingue.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  644 time(s)

[Thumb - 1er novembre 2014 Flessingue ARSENAL Café.jpg]
 Filename 1er novembre 2014 Flessingue ARSENAL Café.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  720 time(s)

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Stephane can you load the video to of the unveiling of my Dad's plaque. Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3Y2vhoeHg

Dear Friends

70 years to the day since my Dad was killed in action. Please watch the youtube.

Bill

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger