commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Padres  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Reverend Arthur Richard 'Dickie' Thornley MA served with 47RM Commando and also with 45RM Commando. His death was announced in the Feb 2004 CA Newsletter. I am not certain if he served as a Padre at the time or Commando.

Revd. H. Kennen DSC. RNVR. was Padre of 46RM Commando and is on our Nominal Roll for them

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/01/2014 15:37:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Rev JOHN ARMSTRONG, CB., OBE., served as a Padre with Group HQ., C.B.T.C. and 48 RM Commando. He became a Bishop and was Chaplain to the Commando Association for many years.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
Thanks to all who have helped with names and info.

If I have mastered this email,I hope I have sent a work in progress of the padres to date that I have found.

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
B****r,still have not mastered the keyboard

I'll ask a friend to give me a hand.

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

DJR Thomas is listed as serving with No.2, 4 and 6 Commando. Rene de Naurois was a RC chaplain, there would also be a C of E chaplain attached, possibly reponsible for the Brigade.

Cpt(Rev) Lunt is described as Brigade Chaplain responsible for 3 Commando, SRS, and 40(RM) Commando in 1943.

Regards
Guy
GUY
Forum Member

4th Special Service Brigade June 1944

HQ Capt(Rev) G Costello

Caradoc Hughes RN 41 (RM) Commando

Kennen DSC RN 45 and 46 (RM) Commando

Haw 47 (RM) Commando

J Armstrong 48(RM) Commando

I see Pete has already listed Kennen and Armstrong

Regards
Guy
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graham Cooper has asked me to upload the 'Work in Progress' list of Chaplains to The Commandos

Please address any additions/amendments to Graham.

Nick
 Filename Chaplains to Cdos.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description Work in Progess
 Filesize 26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  656 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John Martin wrote:May I just mention the Rt Rev Maurice Wood, whom I remember as Bishop of Norwich in the early 1980s? He was a considerable character. Having been ordained in 1940, he joined the Royal Navy as a chaplain in 1943. I believe that he took part in the Normany landings, but he certainly took part in the invasion of Walcheren in November 1944 as chaplain to 48 Cdo RM. There he was awarded the DSC. Later he went out to the Far East. Whenever I have seen film of him at reunions, he always wore the green beret so I would assume that he was commando trained.

I have just read a book which mentions Rev Maurice Wood and confirms what John Martin says.
Lt Maurice Wood was indeed with the RN Commando Beach Parties on D-Day and so didn't attend a course at CBTC (although it was not made clear whether he attended a RN Cdo course).
Soon after D-Day he joined 48 RM Cdo and whenever he irritated the CO, Lt Col Moulton, or any other officer, he'd be 'threatened with being sent back to Achnacarry...'

He was, however, much respected Padre by officers and other ranks alike.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Rev JOHN ARMSTRONG, CB., OBE., served as a Padre with Group HQ., C.B.T.C. and 48 RM Commando. He became a Bishop and was Chaplain to the Commando Association for many years.

I can confirm that the Rev John Armstrong (later, Senior Chaplain to the Commandos) insisted on attending Achnacarry and completed the full basic Commando course.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2014 15:21:05

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

GrahamCooper wrote:Hi,
Reading thro! the forum I came across a question from 2007, that was really was not answered.

As a follow on question,did medical officers have to do the commando course

Many thanks
Graham

I can certainly confirm that Lt David (Doc) Michael Winser, MC, RAMC & 48 RM Cdo, attended Achnacarry and completed a basic Commando course.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Doc Winser was killed in action at Walcheren. More can be read about him HERE

In Memory of Lieutenant DAVID MICHAEL De Reuda WINSER MC
RAMC attd 48RM Commando
who died on the 1st November 1944 aged 29
Remembered with honour at Bergen op Zoom War Cemetery

Nick he is not listed on the CWGC database as being 48RM Commando. Can you advise them of the fact that he is clearly mentioned many times in Ken Ford's book with specific quotes from named Commandos, including the Padre who discovered his body.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/02/2014 21:41:47

[Email]
Swimmer84
Forum Member

Good morning,

I am looking for more info on Chaplains that served specifically with the RN beach commandos as I want to portray this as a re-enacter, and I would like to see any images people have to help get this correct.

I have seen mention of a Maurice woods in the book by David Lee and other references to him landing with the PBM lT CDR Russel of Nan commando in Anzio.

If anyone has more information on Chaplains that served specifically with the RN commandos and images of uniform (BD especially) would be great.

Many thanks

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger