commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dieppe raid picture - identification  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Martin S.
Forum Member

So now for No.3 Cdo members.. if I'll find him, will post it here asap.
Martin S.
Forum Member

I just came through all the No.3 Cdo photos here on web.. but didn'd find him.
I have some tips, but the pictures are unclear or blur.

Like this one.
The man standing on LCI has the very similar cheek chape, but the picture is so unclear I can't identify him for sure.
Anyway, I didn't find him amongst the 4. 5. or 6. troop pictures.
 Filename 3Cdo 4, 5, 6 troops LCI 289, 290 D-Day.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3388 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  338 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 08/08/2013 16:12:43

Trevor Bates
Forum Member

Hello, I?m Len Ruskin?s nephew and this commando does resemble Len but I?m not 100%. The images of Len that appeared in the Daily Express 21/08/1942 show him with a trouser leg missing and holding a tommy gun. I can not distinguish either of these features. I would love to find out more regarding Len?s service after Dieppe. He did not talk that often but when he did it was always regarding small raids so I wonder if he moved from 4 commando after Dieppe. I and Len?s two sons , Pete and Jim would love to find out more.

Regards

Trevor
[Thumb - 43C70365-3783-474E-BAE6-4BF261BF93BA.jpeg]
 Filename 43C70365-3783-474E-BAE6-4BF261BF93BA.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  245 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Trevor and welcome to our Forum.

The Family should apply for a copy of his service record. How to do so can be found on the link below. If the nearest next of kin applies a full photocopy of the record will be provided. If anyone else does only a transcript with limited detail will be provided. Despite what some paysites say only the MOD can provide the full copy via their various disclosure cells for Army, Navy, and RAF. Your Uncle Len was Army.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Additionally I have found an entry in one of the original Commando Association's newsletter, no 65 of September 1977, where your Uncle mentions his son Peter then aged 16 endeavouring to get a mechanical engineering apprenticeship and looking for members with contacts, and also mentions his Olympic hopes in canoeing. I note in the following March newsletter that there had been a "wonderful response". Hope it all worked out.

Do you have a good photo of your Uncle that we could add to the gallery ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/02/2018 21:22:45

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Trevor Bates
Forum Member

Thanks for this Pete, I?ll help my cousins with a next of kin application. As for photos, the one already posted is the best really it appeared on page two of the daily express 21/08/1942. A framed copy was on Len?s wall. There is another image from Newhaven and two of him at Dover after operation Abercrombie. The torn trouser one is the best though. If you want something more recent then I?ll have a dig about. Peter DID get an engineering apprenticeship down on the south coast somewhere and he was and still is a very good canoeists . I?m sure I?ll be in touch once we have Len?s records.
GUY
Forum Member

11000189 RUSKIN Leonard James Gunner Royal Artillery

Trevor,

Len was still with B Troop prior to D-Day, he is in the photograph at Bexhill, May 1944.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/b+trp/4Cdo+BTroop.jpg.html

He was wounded in action in Normandy on the 8th June 1944.

[Thumb - Ruskin WIA.png]
 Filename Ruskin WIA.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  218 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/02/2018 13:34:13

Trevor Bates
Forum Member

Thanks for this. I had seen it before and spotted Len but the copy on 4 commando FB group did not have a date at the bottom. I knew that he had been wounded on or soon after D day but it?s nice to have a date. All should be revealed when we get his records. Thanks.

Trevor

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger